Proverbs 20 – As part of the 31 Day Proverbs Challenge, I am doing one chapter per day for 31 days since there are 31 chapters also in the Book of Proverbs. This is day 20 of 31, therefore I am focusing on Proverbs 20. #Proverbs20
Today read the whole chapter of Proverbs 20. There are 30 verses in this chapter.
Proverbs 20, opens with a warning about wine and strong drink, I believe this gives why Christians should drink. Check out this blog post that gives 10 reasons why Christians shouldn’t drink.
It tells us it is not good to anger the king, I also believe this includes the King of Kings, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Proverbs 20, also talks about being lazy, if you are it will force you to beg to get food, etc. If you don’t work, it will cause you to beg for food. If you do work, you won’t be begging for food.
It is wise also to see advice from a godly person. Someone you can trust. I always share, that a true friend will bring you closer to God, not away from God.
This Proverb also warns us about our own goodness, we may think that we are better moral person over another. This way of thinking is not good, we must know we all are not good. See The Good Person Test.
It let’s us know a righteous man will walk with truth and humility. This shows us how important it is to live a life of integrity.
Proverbs 20, also let’s us no one is perfect or pure. We all sin. Romans 3:23
It let’s us know that man knows us by our deeds or actions. Man mostly will remember the bad and evil you do, and not the good. Remember, God our Father is the creator of our eyes and ears that we have. He knows all and sees all.
Proverbs 20, talks about being lazy again with the word sleep. We know we like to sleep in, but if all we do is sleep and do nothing, it will lead to poverty, not having anything and begging for food.
It later goes to talk about parenting. It says those who curse their parents, will be put in darkness. Darkness is either meaning sin or hell, because hell is the outer darkness or in this case deep darkness. I believe it means death because that is what lamp going out means. But a deep darkness, I would say is eternal death and punishment of hell. So this is telling us it is important to honor thy Father and Mother, so you may live. (Exodus 20:12)
It is not good to rush an inheritance, this reminds me of the Prodigal Son. (Luke 15:11-32).
God tells us that we are not to repay evil, He tells us to leave it Him. We are not seek revenge on anyone. God wants you to trust Him and know that He is in charge. Besides God said, “Vengeance Is Mine.” (Romans 12:19 and Deuteronomy 32:35)
It also talks about dishonestly, trying to make gain at others expenses or by lying. Lying (being dishonest) is an abomination to God.
It tells us we need to let God be our guide for Him to give us the steps we do. Allow Him total control. Check out The LORD determines our steps.
His Proverb let’s us know mans spirit knows it needs God and it will do all it can to find it. That is why people will fill body with other things.
Proverbs 20 tells us that gray hair is a splendor, something valuable, for older person. Gray hair shows achievements, knowledge and wisdom. It can show you have experienced life. I am almost 40, as I type this blog post and I have been graying for a good while now.
Proverbs 20, ends saying punishment can be good. That this tough or a type of corporal punishment similar to scoring or whips. This could also mean going through a tough or hard time could do good for us like what’s on this graphic with thus post.
Below is how the New King James Version (NKJV) and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) has Proverbs 20:30. So I believe this graphic is a parphrase of thise verse.
Proverbs 20:30 New King James Version (NKJV)
30 Blows that hurt cleanse away evil,
As do stripes the inner depths of the heart.
Proverbs 20:30 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
30 Lashes and wounds purge away evil,
and beatings cleanse the innermost parts
God Builds Us …
The blows, lashes and wounds are ways to help build us. They can help form us and mold us into what God wants us to be for His Kingdom. They get deep down into the innermost parts, our the heart. The heart is the most central part of our body. Sometimes they come as a test to see if we will stay faithful and true to Him. Check out these two verses.
Profiting from Trials – James 1:2-8
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
Faith Triumphs in Trouble – Romans 5:1-5
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Share what you got out of reading Proverbs 20? What verse stood out to you and why?
31 Day Proverbs Challenge Series
| Introduction |
| 1st Chapter of Proverbs | 2nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 3rd Chapter of Proverbs | 4th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 5th Chapter of Proverbs | 6th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 7th Chapter of Proverbs | 8th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 9th Chapter of Proverbs | 10th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 11th Chapter of Proverbs | 12th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 13th Chapter of Proverbs | 14th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 15th Chapter of Proverbs | 16th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 17th Chapter of Proverbs | 18th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 19th Chapter of Proverbs | 20th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 21st Chapter of Proverbs | 22nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 23rd Chapter of Proverbs | 24th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 25th Chapter of Proverbs | 26th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 27th Chapter of Proverbs | 28th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 29th Chapter of Proverbs | 30th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 31st Chapter of Proverbs |
Check out the 21 Day Gospel of John Challenge!
Republishing to a current date.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- Food bank ideasFood bank ideas - When donating items to food banks maybe also consider these things to go with what you donate. #donation #foodbank Food bank ideas appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Food bank ideas ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous… Read more »
- Happy ThanksgivingFrom Courageous Christian Father and my family to yours. I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Give God thanks for what you have and what you don't have. #thanksgiving #HappyThanksgiving Happy Thanksgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Thanksgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks LivingDaily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living! When you take time to think, you will find you have a lot to be thankful for. God has blessed us with so much! #Thanksgiving #Thanksliving Daily Thanksgiving brings Thanks Living appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Daily Thanksgiving brings… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Blog PostThanksgiving Blog Post - Below are Thanksgiving Day Blog post that can be found on Courageous Christian Father. Celebrate this day of Thanks Living by checking out these Thanksgiving related blog post. #Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Blog Post appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Blog Post… Read more »
- Thanksgiving Day Quiz PrintableThanksgiving Day Quiz, test your Thanksgiving Day knowledge. Only 8 questions to answer too! There is also a free printable version too! Including an answer sheet. #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingQuiz #ThanksgivingDayQuiz Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Thanksgiving Day Quiz Printable ©2004-2021… Read more »
- Good Grief DayGood Grief Day - “Good Grief!” is a phrase often used by Charlie Brown, the main character from Charles Schulz's comic strip, Peanuts. #GoodGriefDay Good Grief Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Good Grief Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian… Read more »
- A Thanksgiving PoemA Thanksgiving Poem is written by myself, Steve Patterson. This is done like an acronym acrostic type poem. Plus a free printable version to download and print! #Thanksgiving #ThanksgivingDay #ThanksgivingPoem A Thanksgiving Poem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A Thanksgiving Poem ©2004-2021 by Steve… Read more »
- FriendsgivingGiving of thanks with friends, Thanksgiving with friends. #friendsgiving #thanksgiving Friendsgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Friendsgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Christian Movies,… Read more »
- Heaven’s Most Wanted List Church SignHeaven’s Most Wanted List Church Sign - Is this week's Church Sign Saturday which takes us to Barbourville, KY to Roadside Baptist Church. #Barbourville #BarbourilleKY #ChurchSign #ChurchSigns Heaven’s Most Wanted List Church Sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Heaven’s Most Wanted List Church Sign… Read more »
- A-Z of ThanksgivingA-Z of Thanksgiving a list of things Thanksgiving from A to Z. #Thanksgiving A-Z of Thanksgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A-Z of Thanksgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology,… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly