Proverbs 30 – Today is day 30 of the 31 Day Proverbs Challenge. I hope you have been enjoying one chapter of Proverbs per day. If you just got to this blog for the first time or have only followed a few Proverbs, I have been focusing on one chapter per day for 31 days. I started with Chapter 1 of Proverbs and tomorrow I will end with Chapter 31 for the 31st day of the month. Read Proverbs 30. #Proverbs30 #BGBG2
Today read Proverbs 30. There are 33 verses in this chapter of Proverbs.
Proverbs 30, tells us those are wisdom from Agur. It is said that Agur is some will known poet or moralist. Agur was well known in Solomon’s time. Agur is also the son of Jakeh. Since Agur wrote poetry, I did notice at the beginning of my Study Bible it talked about what Proverbs are. This is a quotation from the Holman NKJV Study Bible.
All of the 31 Proverbs in the Bible are written in Hebrew poetry. Hebrew poetry is terse (meaning sparing in use of words) and concise (giving full information with little words), it frequently employs imagery, and generally the second line complements or contrast the thought of the first. Contemplating how how the second line relates to the first is profitable way to meditate on a proverb. 1
[pullquote]Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
6 Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.[/pullquote]
Agur tells us he doesn’t have any knowledge of the Holy One, meaning God. So he is not wise like others who know God. That is why he said he is stupid.
Agur in Proverbs 30:5-6, does say that every word of God is pure. He said God is like a shield to those who trust Him. This goes back to the Armor of God. He also makes it known that we are not to add to God’s Word. Agur also warns about adding to God’s Word.
Verses 7-9, Proverbs 30:7-9, seem like it is written as a prayer. Some scholars say this is similar to the Lord’s Prayer, our model prayer that Jesus gave us. They say both ask for God’s Protection. They both are concerned with upholding to God’s Will.
Just like Solomon’s Proverbs, Agur also talks about how people think that they are good in their own eyes. He says these people are not washed from their filthiness. Filthiness is referred to as sin. We we get saved we are washed with the Blood of Jesus, who cleanses us clean. We are white as snow form his crimson bloo.
Agur list three things that never satisfy.
- The Grave
- Barren Womb
- Earth that is not satisfied
Then he adds a fourth, Enough. The fire never has enough he says. The grave and fire will always try to destroy while the womb and earth always try to produce.
Agur also list three things that are too wonderful for him.
- The Way of an Eagle in the air.
- The way of a serpent on a rock.
- The way of a ship in the midst of the sea
Then he gives a fourth one, one that he doesn’t understand. The way of a man with a virgin.
Some scholars believe this talks about that the first three things don’t leave any tracks, as in no trace. Just the same as a man who wipes a woman’s mouth believes that fornication leaves no tracks. She may think that the sex is a great meal to her. But at the end it has consequences. The wiping of the mouth may mean that she is trying to clean herself after like that a person would do after they ate a meal.
Another scholar would say the above is saying that these first three items take an effortless instinctive progress toward a goal. Agur finds these things amazing, but still no clue how they do it.
Aguar continues going over three and four things in Proverbs 30. One of these is an observation in God’s Creation. Each one over comes limitations. He talks about ants, rock badgers, locusts, and spiders. Rock badgers make their homes in rocks, Jesus is our rock. Spiders are vulnerable, but they make webs in prominent locations.
Lizards of Spiders?
Now I did noticed in the English Stand Version (ESV) it says lizard instead of spiders. According to the study notes in my Crossway ESV Study Bible it says all these listed creations are small but still give important lessons. The ants make provisions for the future, the rock badgers make provisions for shelter, the locusts make provisions for cooperation and the lizard, as it states, instead of spiders like the New King James Version (NKJV) they give a lesson that the humblest of creations can even make the highest circles of society.2
Want some science in the Bible? Look at verse 33, Proverbs 30:33, as the churning of milk produces butter, Back in the Bible times, before Christ even, they made butter from churning milk. So the Bible tells us how to make butter.
Make sure you follow Courageous Christian Father as I will be posting the last and finial chapter of Proverbs in this 31 Day Proverbs Challenge, which will be Proverbs 31. Which is one of the most popular chapters of Proverbs.
So what did you get out of reading Proverbs 30? Did a verse stick to you or stand out to you? I want to hear from you. Your comments are welcome.
31 Day Proverbs Challenge Series
| Introduction |
| 1st Chapter of Proverbs | 2nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 3rd Chapter of Proverbs | 4th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 5th Chapter of Proverbs | 6th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 7th Chapter of Proverbs | 8th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 9th Chapter of Proverbs | 10th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 11th Chapter of Proverbs | 12th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 13th Chapter of Proverbs | 14th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 15th Chapter of Proverbs | 16th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 17th Chapter of Proverbs | 18th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 19th Chapter of Proverbs | 20th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 21st Chapter of Proverbs | 22nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 23rd Chapter of Proverbs | 24th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 25th Chapter of Proverbs | 26th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 27th Chapter of Proverbs | 28th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 29th Chapter of Proverbs | 30th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 31st Chapter of Proverbs |
Check out the 21 Day Gospel of John Challenge!
Republishing to a current date.
1. Holman NKJV Study Bible, Page 1013
2. Crossway ESV Study Bible, Page 1188
Men of the Bible, Wisdom, Agur, Jakeh, Bible, Proverbs, God, Armor of God, Prayer, Jesus Christ, Solomon, Sin, Bible Stories of the Sea, Creation, Ants, Rock Badgers, Locusts, Spiders, Armor of God, Proverbs 30.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- The Hidden Meaning of the 12 Days of Christmas (Free Printable)
- 24 Day Gospel of Luke Challenge24 Day Gospel of Luke Challenge - This Bible reading challenge is great for Christmas time. Simply read one chapter of Luke per day for 24 days starting on December 1st. Then when Christmas comes you have read about the Life of Christ! #bgbg2 #Luke #GospelofLuke 24 Day Gospel of… Read more »
- It’s Merry Christmas! Find Out What Xmas Really MeansXmas! It's Merry Christmas! But do you really know what is meant by using the Term Merry XMas? Maybe even what the letter X is in Greek or even what the labarum or Chi-Rho is? #Christmas #Xmas #XP #XT #labarum, #ChiRho It’s Merry Christmas! Find Out What Xmas Really Means… Read more »
- Sewing Items in The Final Straw Game ShowSteve Sews Stuff Sewing Items in The Final Straw Game Show - these sewing items are in a stack and players take turns pulling them without having the stack fall. #thefinalstraw #sewing Sewing Items in The Final Straw Game Show appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- I-81 Mile Marker 54 Barn QuiltSteve Sews Stuff I-81 Mile Marker 54 Barn Quilt #barnquilt This barn quilt is exactly at mile marker 54 on Interstate 81 South in Tennessee. This is in the Jonesborough, Falls Branch, Kingsport area. I-81 Mile Marker 54 Barn Quilt appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner