Proverbs 17 – As part of the 31 Day Proverbs Challenge, I am doing one chapter per day for 31 days since there are 31 chapters also in the Book of Proverbs. This is Day 17 of 31, therefore I am focusing on Proverbs 17. #Proverbs17
Today read the whole chapter of Proverbs 17. There are 28 verses in Proverbs 17.
Proverbs 17, is one like the previous ones where it compares one thing better than the other. Like a dry morsel could be dry bread, meaning it could be day old or stale bread. It can be better to be in a quiet house with old bread than a house full of food with fighting going on.
It says that to refine gold and silver it must go in the furnace, the fire in other words. To refine us, God will put our hearts on fire. He knows our hearts. He test our hearts too to see if we will be refined pure. Testing here is to make sure we will stay faithful to God. He may bring adversity our way to test us.
An evil person and a liar make things worse but continuing and edging on the evil lying behavior. Take heed of those type of people.
If you were to mock someone, it means that you are making fun of them. May you say the poor deserves it, etc. That is a way of mocking the poor. God made the poor and to make fun of them, is to make fun of God himself, since He is the Creator, the Creator of everything and everyone.
A crown is a celebrated symbol of status. To get this crown you need to pursue wisdom. Remember we get wisdom from the Fear of God. God is the one who gives us wisdom. It is good for children to have wise and godly parents. Ones that will raise them up in the way of the Lord.
Verse 7 according to my KNJV study Bible it says that fool here is Hebrew, Nabal, meaning religious indifference, one that curses God and denies he exists.
A precious stone is like a bribe. It may only be precious to the one who sees it. Almost reminds me of the saying one mans junk is another mans treasure. One person may not see the stone as valuable but another would. God doesn’t like bribes. This person may proposer here on earth because of these bribes, but He won’t prosper anywhere else.
I believe here in verse 9 talks about forgiveness. Leaving the where they mistreated you to God and God’s wrath for them. Remember vengeance is mine sayith the Lord. See Nahum 1:2; Romans 12:19; & Hebrews 10:30. If you let the hostility get to you, it will separate you as friends, it means you are holding onto a grudge. You are not forgiving.
Verses 9-19 or Proverbs 17, deal with conflict of some type, just like the above on forgiveness.
An evil person will continue to rebel. If you rebel long enough, God can and will put you death. It says in here messengers in this case it could be an angel, perhaps the angel of death.
Do not reward evil for good. If you do, evil will not leave. Evil will continue. Think of it like a child, when the child does wrong do you want to reward them? If you do, they will think they can do it again and get another reward.
Strife or anger is like running water, it can be strong and will continue to flow. It can pass on to others along the stream it takes. So it is important to stop it when you see it starting. Put a seance to arguments and fights and bad talks.
Again it talks about justifying the evil or bad, the things that go against God’s Will. Like today, there are many topics that go against God’s Law, that are bad and evil,. if we accept it and tolerate it it means that we are justifying it. We are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. Sin must be dealt with! Yes we all sin, but as Christians we should strive to be more Christ-like. The old saying WWJD. What Would Jesus Do? It also tells us if we justify or comply with those who says it is right when it is wrong, we are as guilty of committing the sin as if we did it our self.
This Proverb lets us know we cannot purchase wisdom. We may think we can with fancy educations and degrees and such, but true wisdom doesn’t come from an educational institute; it comes from God Himself. We must have the right heart, the fear of God, a reverse type of fear to gain this wisdom. It is all about the heart condition. God looks at us by our heart.
This Proverb also tells us that often a friend will love us more than a brother. The bother may not love us when it seems good is happening to us. Look at Cain and Abel and what happened in that situation.
The Bible says that it is a crazy or stupid thing to put up a pledge or a loan for a friend. I believe it is saying if they cannot get the load to begin with there is a reason why. It may be a simple warning that your friend may never repay you for the debt they owe.
Don’t be the person who brings on anger or argument. If you are that type of person you will be destruction. That is why it is important to just forgive and allow God to take control, after all He will give His punishment.
If you lie to get what you want or to take advantage of others you will find no good. You will not trust other people because your life is built on a lie, so you lie to cover up other lies. Because of this you do not know what the truth is. So when someone talks to you; you won’t believe them because you will be unsure if they are telling the truth or not.
The same goes to bad talking, bad language, perverse talking etc. It brings nothing but evil, this evil will cause you to fall and sin. Remember sin separates us from God. We are the ones that go away from Him. He is still with us, but we are the ones that turn away or take our eyes off Him.
A scoffer is an immoral person. Someone with no moral accountability. This person is dangerous, because they really don’t know what is right or wrong. They do not know what is acceptable or unacceptable.
If you have a merry heart, a cheerful or happy heart it is like medicine. It is good for you, makes you feel good, it lifts you up, perhaps encourages you. It is a good cure for anything. On the other hand, when you have a sad heart, you bring pain to others. This pain can be so bad that it hurts to the bones. The bones is part of the inner most part of us.
Proverbs 17 talks about bribes. Remember God detest Bribes. It goes on to say a wicked man will even do bribes behind your back. This will be someone close to you!
Again wisdom is talked about and it is from God. He is the one that brings understanding with the wisdom. We can get this wisdom by keeping our eye on the Lord, but when we take our eyes off of Him, we see the world and become fools. Taking our eyes off of the Lord shows we no longer trust Him. Remember what happened to Peter when he took his eyes off Jesus? He sank!
Proverbs 17 also says, If you become a foolish son, going away from the Lord,denying Him and breaking his Laws, you become a fool to your father and bring bitterness to your mother. After all your parents are the ones that suppose to bring you up in a godly home. If you go against that they know what awaits you, the wrath of God and they love you and don’t want to see you face that.
It tells us that it does us no good to punish the righteous, those who do good. That is unfair to punish a righteous person or an innocent person. This can also mean pass judgement on someone that isn’t true.
It says if you know how to hold your tongue and not say bad words, etc. You have knowledge and understanding. A knowledge of God and what God wants. It will also keep a calm spirit between you and those around you. But remember even a fool can hold his peace, his mouth from time to time. So be careful of the false perception.
Share what you got out of reading Proverbs 17? What verse stood out to you and why?A cheerful heart is good medicine. #Proverbs17 Click To Tweet
31 Day Proverbs Challenge Series
| Introduction |
| 1st Chapter of Proverbs | 2nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 3rd Chapter of Proverbs | 4th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 5th Chapter of Proverbs | 6th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 7th Chapter of Proverbs | 8th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 9th Chapter of Proverbs | 10th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 11th Chapter of Proverbs | 12th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 13th Chapter of Proverbs | 14th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 15th Chapter of Proverbs | 16th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 17th Chapter of Proverbs | 18th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 19th Chapter of Proverbs | 20th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 21st Chapter of Proverbs | 22nd Chapter of Proverbs |
| 23rd Chapter of Proverbs | 24th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 25th Chapter of Proverbs | 26th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 27th Chapter of Proverbs | 28th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 29th Chapter of Proverbs | 30th Chapter of Proverbs |
| 31st Chapter of Proverbs |
Check out the 21 Day Gospel of John Challenge!
Republishing to current date.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- YouVersion Bible verse of the year for 2021YouVersion Bible verse of the year for 2021 #YouVersion YouVersion Bible verse of the year for 2021 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at YouVersion Bible verse of the year for 2021 ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A… Read more »
- Bible Gateway Bible verse of the year for 2021Bible Gateway Bible verse of the year for 2021 which includes searching for sorcery. #bgbg2 Bible Gateway Bible verse of the year for 2021 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Bible Gateway Bible verse of the year for 2021 ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson… Read more »
- My Jesus by Anne WilsonMy Jesus by Anne Wilson - Let me tell you about my Jesus song. #MyJesus #AnneWilson My Jesus by Anne Wilson appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at My Jesus by Anne Wilson ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- A fetus was the first to leap at JesusA fetus was the first to leap at Jesus - That fetus was John the Baptist, remember he leaped in the womb at Jesus. The word leaped, literally meant to jump or move! I’m sure it wasn’t like normal movement or kicking! A fetus was the first to leap at… Read more »
- 5 Advent Candles & Their Meaning5 Advent Candles & Their Meaning - I share about what the five different candles that are lit during Advent and what each mean. #AdventCandles 5 Advent Candles & Their Meaning appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 5 Advent Candles & Their Meaning ©2004-2021 by… Read more »
- Designer of Popular Ark Encounter and Creation Museum Passes AwayPatrick Marsh, Designer of Popular Ark Encounter and Creation Museum Passes Away #ArkEncounter #PatrickMarsh #CreationMuseum Designer of Popular Ark Encounter and Creation Museum Passes Away appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Designer of Popular Ark Encounter and Creation Museum Passes Away ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Snoopy Presents Auld Lang SyneAfter the Peanuts gang experience a disappointing Christmas because Grandma can’t visit, Lucy resolves to throw herself the best New Year’s Eve party ever, while Charlie Brown struggles to accomplish just one of his resolutions before the clock strikes twelve. #Snoopy #SnoopyAuldLangSyne #AuldLangSyne Snoopy Presents Auld Lang Syne appeared first… Read more »
- Drum Solo – Learn about the Drummer BoyDrum Solo - Learn about the Drummer Boy as I share about this boy with a drum. #DrummerBoy Drum Solo – Learn about the Drummer Boy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Drum Solo – Learn about the Drummer Boy ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve… Read more »
- Christmas acronymA Christmas acronym, Christmas Acrostic, Christmas Poem written by Steve Patterson. Includes a free printable version! #Christmas #ChristmasAcronym #ChristmasAcrostic #ChristmasPoem Christmas acronym appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Christmas acronym ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian… Read more »
- Food bank ideasFood bank ideas - When donating items to food banks maybe also consider these things to go with what you donate. #donation #foodbank Food bank ideas appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Food bank ideas ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly