John Harper is one of the people I got to learn about on a visit to the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN on May 10, 2014, I got to talk to one of the crew members, Ron, who talked to me about John Harper, Pastor & also known as the Last Titanic Hero. I just hope I could do the same thing if I was in a predicament Harper was. #Ttanic #JohnHarper #LastTitanicHero #TitanicHero
John Harper, Baptist Pastor, Hero aboard Titanic
One of the stories he told me about was how he went around making sure the people were saved before their bit of time on earth. One of these stories was when Harper was in the water on driftwood. Another man was on driftwood too. They came close to each other. Harper went up to him and asked him how is is soul. The man replied, he wasn’t sure. The current pushed them apart. Later they came back together. He again asked the man again how is his soul? The man replied again, he wasn’t sure. Just then, Harper went under the water to his grave. Ron continues to tell me that this other man accepted Jesus and he ended up being one of the survivors aboard the Titanic.
I was wondering about the souls of those aboard the Titanic. If anyone was trying to save them. What a way to go, Harper gave up his life to see that everyone else was saved. Jesus did say those who lose their life for me, will gain their life.
John Harper’s Boarding Pass
On one of my visits to the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge, I got there early and asked if they had John Harper’s boarding pass and they looked through the stack and gave me it. (Shown Below)
2nd Class Passenger Age: 39
Residence: London, England
John Harper (May 29, 1872 – April 15, 1912) was a pastor from Great Britain. He began preaching by the age of 18. Harper was 39 years old when he gave up his life. It is said he was preaching the gospel the whole time the ship was sinking and while he was in the frigid water. Shouting Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved. Which is a passage from Acts 16:31.
Ron suggested I read the book, The Titanic’s Last Hero, published by Moody Adams. He told me to check it out in the gift shop. Well, we all know gift shops are very pricey. At the Titanic Museum it was very pricey. Like most people, I often turn to the internet and research buys like this. Which I found used online for 18 cents, plus $3.99 shipping. I am not saying to not buy it from the museum, but I am more of a thrifty shopper. If I wasn’t on a limited budget, I would have been glad to pay that price. I am just suggesting another option.
The first chapter was summed up with what Ron told me at the Titanic
The Titanic, hit an iceberg and started to go down April 14, 1912 around 10:40 p.m.. It fully sank a short time after on April 15, 1912 around 2:20 a.m.. From reading the first chapter, it showed that Harper cared for those who were lost, because he knew what awaited them if they didn’t come to Christ. He even put his daughter on a lifeboat knowing that she would now be both fatherless and motherless, since her mother passed away before they went on the Titanic voyage. His daughter, Nana, later married a minister and even dedicated her life to Christ like her father did.
The book shows that Harper was no stranger to near death experiences with drowning. They book shows you a few examples of that. Harper also showed by staying on the boat, knowing he would perish, but he know that Jesus already defeated death and he knew where he would go … Heaven.
Harper was even trying to win people to Christ even before the Titanic hit the iceberg, he was seen witnessing to others the night before.
From the stories I have heard and seen. I believe he is a hero. Some may say well he didn’t do this or that. I believe anyone who gives up their life to make sure others are saved and will go to Heaven is a hero. We need more brave men and woman to take a stand and face running into a burning building or staying on a sinking ship to see others get saved. The Bible tells us those who lose their life for my sake, gain their life. (See Matthew 10:39, Matthew 16:25, Mark 8:35, Luke 9:24, John 12:25)
We are all called to share Christ no matter what. You can learn more by checking out The Great Commission!
Below is a video just over 6 minutes. Watch this video about John Harper.
Anyone who saves a soul from going to hell is a hero, I personally believe.
I also believe that Jesus was our Ultimate Super Hero (Click to Read More)
If you want to learn more about John Harper, Pastor & Hero, then I recommend you checking out the book and also paying a visit to The Titanic Museum and talk to the Titanic Crew about him.
Would you run around a sinking ship to say believe in Jesus Christ or would you try to save your own life?
No greater love than one to lay down their own life for another. This also means their soul to be saved. John 15:13
Learn more …
- Titanic Museum
- The Titanic Bible that survived the sinking of the Titanic
- The Caldwell’s, Missionaries Aboard the Titanic
Titanic Museum Review | John Harper – Last Titanic Hero
The Caldwell Family – Missionaries Aboard the Titanic | The Titanic Bible
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
- The Great Pumpkin AnalogyLinus & the The Great Pumpkin, from It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, is a good analogy to use when we talk about having faith Linus shows great faith. We need to have similar faith but our faith needs to be in Christ! #GreatPumpkin #faith #Linus #CharlieBrown The Great Pumpkin… Read more »
- 4 Choices when confronting A mountain4 Choices when confronting A mountain - When we are confronted with a mountain in front of us we have four choices. #mountain 4 Choices when confronting A mountain appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 4 Choices when confronting A mountain ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Halloween AlternativesHalloween alternatives: Facts on Halloween & Bible verses that pertain to not dealing or imitate darkness, evil, spirits. Participating in Halloween may seem fun. But, there is nothing fun about playing on Satan’s playground. It does not matter how many other people are playing there with you. We should be… Read more »
- October the 8th Month?October the 8th Month? What are you talking about? August is the 8th month Steve! Find out why October is no longer the 8th month. #October #August #8thMonth #10MonthCalendar #12MonthCalendar October the 8th Month? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at October the 8th Month? ©2004-2021… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly
First published September 26, 2014. Last updated or republished April 15, 2021.