Happy Valentine’s Day – I want to wish a very Happy Valentine’s Day to all my readers.
Happy Valentine’s Day
Types of Love …
- Philia (φιλία philía) means “affectionate”
- Éros (ἔρως érōs) means “love, mostly of the sexual passion”.
- Storge (στοργή storgē) means “love, affection” and “especially of parents and children
- Agápe (ἀγάπη agápē) means God Love.
Be sure to check out these Valentine’s Day Blog Post!
Who is St. Valentine?
St. Valentine was a Catholic priest who performed marriages for young lovers in secret while Rome was under the rule of Emperor Claudius II, who banned all marriages and engagements believing that Roman men were unwilling to join the army due to their attachment to wives and families. There are two more patrons named St. Valentine who were martyred in ancient Rome. (learn more)
- 190 Million are purchased each year to the tune of $1 billion. According to Hallmark, women purchase 85 percent of them.
- $2 billion is spent on flowers with 250 million roses produced.
- $4.3 billion worth of jewelry is sold.
- $1.7 billion is spent on candy & chocolate.
- In his 1382 poem, “Parlement of Foules,” English poet Geoffrey Chaucer became the first to connect romance with St. Valentine’s Day.
Tid-bits Source: National Retail Federation (NRF), * The Nielsen Company
Not sure where to go on a date? Try this game … The Penny Date. Allow a penny to tell you which way to turn. You never know where you may end up!
First published February 14, 2017. Last republished or updated February 14, 2019.
My name is Steve Patterson and I am saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. I have been blogging at Courageous Christian Father since 2012, however, I have been blogging since around 2004. I listen to nothing but Christian Music. I work as a graphic designer.