Happy Valentine’s Day – I want to wish a very Happy Valentine’s Day to all my readers.
Happy Valentine’s Day
This Day of Love is celebrated annually in the United States on February 14. Some people call this holiday Saint Valentine’s Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine.
Types of Love …
- Philia (φιλία philía) means “affectionate”
- Éros (ἔρως érōs) means “love, mostly of the sexual passion”.
- Storge (στοργή storgē) means “love, affection” and “especially of parents and children
- Agápe (ἀγάπη agápē) means God Love.
Be sure to check out these Valentine’s Day Blog Post!
Who is St. Valentine?
St. Valentine was a Catholic priest who performed marriages for young lovers in secret while Rome was under the rule of Emperor Claudius II, who banned all marriages and engagements believing that Roman men were unwilling to join the army due to their attachment to wives and families. There are two more patrons named St. Valentine who were martyred in ancient Rome. (learn more)
- 190 Million are purchased each year to the tune of $1 billion. According to Hallmark, women purchase 85 percent of them.
- $2 billion is spent on flowers with 250 million roses produced.
- $4.3 billion worth of jewelry is sold.
- $1.7 billion is spent on candy & chocolate.
- In his 1382 poem, “Parlement of Foules,” English poet Geoffrey Chaucer became the first to connect romance with St. Valentine’s Day.
Tid-bits Source: National Retail Federation (NRF), * The Nielsen Company
Not sure where to go on a date? Try this game … The Penny Date. Allow a penny to tell you which way to turn. You never know where you may end up!
- 14 Things Husbands Do to Make Their Wive’s Feel loved
- Candy Hearts, Popular candies share sweet words of love
- Connection between the Heart and Love
- Cupid’s Connection to Love?
- February: Fun Facts
- History of Kissing
- How Chocolate Became Tied to Valentine’s Day
- How did “XO” come to symbolize kisses and hugs?
- Love – Fruit of the Spirit
- Penny Date
- Two Dollar Bill Blessing
- Valentine’s Day Quiz
- Valentine’s Day Traditions From Around the World
- Various Types of Chocolates
- Who is St. Valentine?
- Why Valentine’s Day is Celebrated February 14
First published February 14, 2017. Last republished or updated February 14, 2019.
A Christian Blogger that enjoys blogging about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Family, Cats, Odd Holidays and much more. I have been blogging since 2004, however, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. I enjoy listening to Christian Music. I am married with 1 daughter, 2 step-sons and a step daughter.