World MS Day – MS is short for Multiple Sclerosis. This day is a day to help raise awareness of MS. #WorldMSDay #MSDay
Held annually on May 30th. MS hits close to home. My sister has Multiple Sclerosis.
The 2019 campaign is #MyInvisibleMS
The 2018 campaign was #bringinguscloser (Check out that poster, below)
Per World MS Day website, worldmsday.org, this is what MS is.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is one of the most common neurological disorders and causes of disability in young adults.
There are 2.3 million people with MS worldwide. It is likely that hundreds of thousands more remain undiagnosed and many lives are affected indirectly, through caring for someone with MS.
Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 25 and 31, with around twice as many women diagnosed than men.
The cause of MS is not yet known and as yet there is no cure, though there are treatments available that can help some forms of MS and many things you can do to improve the symptoms.
Shine a Light on MS
History of MS
- 1868 – Multiple sclerosis is first defined as a medical condition – “la sclérose en plaques” by French neurologist Jean-martin Charcoat.
- 1967 – Sylvia Lawry, founder of the world’s first MS organization, the USA’s National MS Society, establishes the MS International Federation (MSIF).
- 1981 – The first MRI scans of people with MS enabled doctors to see the complex effects of MS on the brain.
- 1993 – The first country approves the first ever disease-modifying treatment for relapsing MS, designed to reduce relapses and slow disease progression.
- 2009 – The very first World MS Day celebrated.
- 2017 – The World’s first treatment for primary progressive MS is approved in several countries.
Neurofibromatosis (NF) is another neurological disorder, which is what I have, my mom, uncle and some cousins, etc.
First published May 30, 2018. Last updated or republished May 23, 2019.
My name is Steve Patterson and I am saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. I have been blogging at Courageous Christian Father since 2012, however, I have been blogging since around 2004. I listen to nothing but Christian Music. I work as a graphic designer.