The Armor of God
We are told by God to Put on the whole Armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil, as it is stated in verse 11 of Ephesians 6:10-18. Below is the full scripture from verse 10 to 18.
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and,the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.
What is the Armor of God?
- Belt of Truth around your waist. This is knowing the Word of God is truthful. It is what carried your gear like your sword. Without a belt you would not be able to hold any gear you needed or have the Sword, the Word of God with you. This is where we have the Word of God with us. When times we need to use the Word, we have it ready with us.
- Breastplate of Righteousness. Knowing God’s word will help you be trusted and right. This is also the central part of the armor. It was to protect the core of the body. To also protect your heart and other vital organs. Righteous means doing what is right in the eyes of God. Not man.
- Feet fitted with Readiness. Being ready for evil when it comes. Evil can come at anytime. Evil can be a sin, a person, a feeling, emotion. Evil is anything not of God. It also means going. We are called to serve and we are called go tell the World about Jesus. Go is a command. At church when I pray I pray people have an open heart, open mind and feet ready to apply the message to a lost and dying world. So Go! Share Christ don’t keep Him to yourself. When we go, we will carry the Word of God with us and able to use it.
- Shield of Faith. Having the shield of faith. You have Faith in God. You trust in God and He will take care of you. He will take away all fire and evil by having the shield of faith. This was to protect us from attacks. The devil likes to throw fiery arrows at us. When linked with others in armor the shields made a housing like to protect. Also again, staying in the word is what helps protect us from those darts. This way we can tell if any false or bad arrows are coming at us.
- Helmet of Salvation. Which is Hope. 1 Thessalonians 5:8 This was to protect our head. This was also to protect us from false doctrines. To protect us, we must stay in the Word. Our head is also a vital part of the body. It must be protected and fed with the Word of God as well.
- Sword of the Spirit, which as stated in verse 17 is the Word of God. (the only offensive part of the armor) It is used to show us false doctrines and false teachers. It is also to to show us the Truth of God’s Word. This way we will know it when we hear the truth or point out those who are not offering the truth of God. It is use to attack Satan and his demons.
Again it says to pray. We ought to remember to leave EVERYTHING into the Hands of the Lord. He will take care of us if we sit and know he is God. (Psalm 46:10). Also, Isaiah 59:17 states we need to have on our Armour of God.
By us having on the FULL Armor of God we can withstand Satan and evil. Not bits and pieces and choosing what we want to have on, but the FULL, as in ALL of it. It’s ALL or NONE! If we only have just a few we might not as well have any on at all. We are weak if we do not have the full Armor of God on. We will be vulnerable and attacked.
The “sword” being offensive weapon and the rest of the armor is for defense. This is according to Bible scholars. This is why reading the Bible and staying in the Word is helpful. This is to help fight against the evil one. This is also so you will know a false teacher when one comes. This way you will stay true to the word of God.
Also note that each of the defensive parts of the armor fully rely on the offensive part, the Sword, the Word of God. These defensive parts won’t work unless you stay grounded in the word. Staying in the Word helps protect you.
Also if you note, there is no protection in the back. This is because there is no running away from a spiritual battle. Like with the feet we are told to Go! God will take care of us and help us. He is always with us. He gives us the tools we need. Remember after all. God won the battle. Jesus won the victory over sin and death. At the end of times, Satan will be defeated and cast in the Lake of Fire for eternity.
Pray and seek help. God will always show us the way. It might not be immediate. An old saying says, “The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.” So He will always protect us. See 1 Corinthians 10:13 and in Jeremiah 29:11.
First published March 25, 2012. Revisions & Republishing April 9, 2015.