Elf on the Shelf – My Thoughts – In 2014, I became more informed about this “Elf on the Shelf” craze. The premise is this elf to hide this elf in the house and watches to see if you are naughty or nice. They claim he goes to the North Pole after everyone is asleep. This is how Santa knows if they are naughty or nice. I honestly don’t believe we need something else taking away the true meaning of Christmas. You can pose this elf doing various poses, you can put him in various locations. You can even change his clothing to have different clothes on. The possibilities are endless.
Elf on the Shelf – My Thoughts
The elf is supposed to be posted doing naughty things.
No where in the Bible does it say an “elf” is watching us. Elf doesn’t report to God to nark on us when we do wrong. In reality our Heavenly Father, God is always watching us. He knows when we are good or bad.God knows all and God sees all. There is nothing we can hide from God, we can’t even hide from God ourselves.
The good thing is Christ is interceding on our behalf. Because of that God sees the previous blood of Christ. This however doesn’t give us a license to sin. Its clear in the Bible if we live Him we will keep the commandments (John 14:15 & John 14:23). Being a Christian is being more Christ like. No I’m not perfect nor are you, we just saved by grace. We as Christians should want to sin less than we do. The holy spirit is what corrects us when we do stray and helps guide us back to walking with Christ.
Amazon affiliate links used.
When I was a kid we had discipline! Something that lacks today. “Belt on the Shelf”. The Bible tells us that we must discipline our children.
Let’s look at it this way, similar to the Are You A Good Person? test, how about the Naughty or Nice List. Based on the 10 Commandments, would you be on the Naughty or Nice list? Remember if you break just one of the commandments, you would be on God’s Naughty list.
But instead of the Elf doing naughty things, you can have the elf doing good things.
A comment given to me
Last year after posting this, I got a comment from a guy calling himself Matt. Below is what he shared as a comment, you can still see his comment in the comments below.
I had some thoughts about the elf on the shelf too. We took a slightly different approach, and are using the elf this year to help emphasize God’s character. So many of the kids in my neighborhood do elf on the shelf, so there are easy opportunities to turn elf conversations into spiritual conversations. I’m calling it #myelfexperiment. Check it out if you’d like and let me know what you think. Each day I place the elf somewhere in the house, then write a note that points my kids to an attribute of God. For example, one day he was hanging from the pendulum of the grandfather clock, and the note read, ““God never changes; He always stays the same. He does not get old or tired. He does not change His name. Take time to thank Him for always loving you! Take time to thank your PARENTS for loving you, too!” The starting point of each note is God’s character, followed up by an appropriate application in response to God’s character. We’re posting a photo a day on our website in hopes to help other parents who have an elf on the shelf to use it as a means to point their kids to God. There’s been a very favorable response so far, and it’s helped to get more people interacting with our site. We are Discover God 4Kids, if you’d like to learn more about what we’re working on.
See what Matt is doing
Maybe if you must do the Elf on the Shelf, maybe do something like Matt is doing. Have the location of this elf point somewhere to Christ. Remember everything must point to Christ. We must have Christ be the center of everything. We answer to Him in the end. He is the one that died for our sins. You can read what he wrote as a guest blogger at DG4Kids post.
Like this one from December 4, 2014 … (Give some time for the Facebook embed to load)
And check this out too.
#myelfexperiment Day 2: Terwilliger (#elfontheshelf) found that the stopped clock in the living room reminded him that God Never Changes! Here was his message for my kids: “God never changes; He always stays the same. He does not get old or tired. He does not change His name. Take time to thank Him for always loving you! Take time to thank your PARENTS for loving you, too!”
Nevertheless, this is a great idea from Matt. I do know what man intends for evil, God has good to come out of it. But I still personally do not believe in supporting this ideology of this elf tradition. Today the World is trying its best to take away the birth of Christ in Christmas. They are trying to remove Christ. If we totally remove Christ out of Christmas, we only have Mas. So what are we then gonna say Happy Mas?
I will always say Merry CHRISTmas to anyone and everyone, even if you don’t celebrate it. I won’t deny Christ! If we deny Him before man, He will deny us before the Father. Be Bold! Be a witness for Christ.
First published December 8, 2014. Last republished or updated December 10, 2021.. #ElfOnTheShelf #MyElfExperiment
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- How Memorial Day and Veterans Day differ from each otherMemorial Day and Veterans Day each honor the military, though the two holidays are not the same. Never tell a veteran Happy Memorial Day! How Memorial Day and Veterans Day differ from each other appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at How Memorial Day and Veterans… Read more »
- 3 Memorial Day weekend travel tipsMemorial Day weekend is one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. Often referred to as "the unofficial beginning of summer," Memorial Day and the weekend that precedes it has become synonymous with beach trips and backyard barbecues. Travelers who want to avoid traffic jams and ensure their weekends… Read more »
- Billy Graham Rapid Response Team chaplains deploy to Uvalde, Texas, after 19 children killed in school shootingBilly Graham Rapid Response Team chaplains deploy to Uvalde, Texas, after 19 children killed in school shooting. #Uvalde #UvaldeTX Billy Graham Rapid Response Team chaplains deploy to Uvalde, Texas, after 19 children killed in school shooting appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Billy Graham Rapid… Read more »
- Happy Memorial DayHappy Memorial Day! Thank you to those men and women who died to protect our freedoms. Plus. Special shoutout to One that shed His blood for our ultimate freedom ... Jesus! #MemorialDay Happy Memorial Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Memorial Day ©2004-2022… Read more »
- Acronym for Father PrintableChristian acronym for the word "Father". It is done like a free verse acrostic poem. You can even download a free version! Written by Steve Patterson. #Father #Dad #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #FatherAcronym Acronym for Father Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Acronym for Father Printable… Read more »
- The Leaning Barn – propping me up on the leaning sideThe Leaning Barn - propping me up on the leaning side - “A pastor of a small church would occasionally call on one gentleman to pray, and every time this one particular guy would pray, he would end with the strangest statement, “And, oh Lord, prop us up on our… Read more »
- Born again not born against
- Gas pricesGas prices funny - These gas prices are probably the reason the armies in the Book of Revelation are riding horses.#gasprices Gas prices appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Gas prices ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to churchDon’t wait for the hearse to take you to church by then it’s too late! #church #bgbg2 #hearse Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church ©2004-2022… Read more »
- What we see often depends on what we are looking forWhat we see often depends on what we are looking for What we see often depends on what we are looking for appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at What we see often depends on what we are looking for ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner