Elf on the Shelf – My Thoughts – In 2014, I became more informed about this “Elf on the Shelf” craze. The premise is this elf to hide this elf in the house and watches to see if you are naughty or nice. They claim he goes to the North Pole after everyone is asleep. This is how Santa knows if they are naughty or nice. I honestly don’t believe we need something else taking away the true meaning of Christmas. You can pose this elf doing various poses, you can put him in various locations. You can even change his clothing to have different clothes on. The possibilities are endless.
Elf on the Shelf – My Thoughts
The elf is supposed to be posted doing naughty things.
No where in the Bible does it say an “elf” is watching us. Elf doesn’t report to God to nark on us when we do wrong. In reality our Heavenly Father, God is always watching us. He knows when we are good or bad.God knows all and God sees all. There is nothing we can hide from God, we can’t even hide from God ourselves.
The good thing is Christ is interceding on our behalf. Because of that God sees the previous blood of Christ. This however doesn’t give us a license to sin. Its clear in the Bible if we live Him we will keep the commandments (John 14:15 & John 14:23). Being a Christian is being more Christ like. No I’m not perfect nor are you, we just saved by grace. We as Christians should want to sin less than we do. The holy spirit is what corrects us when we do stray and helps guide us back to walking with Christ.
Amazon affiliate links used.
When I was a kid we had discipline! Something that lacks today. “Belt on the Shelf”. The Bible tells us that we must discipline our children.
Let’s look at it this way, similar to the Are You A Good Person? test, how about the Naughty or Nice List. Based on the 10 Commandments, would you be on the Naughty or Nice list? Remember if you break just one of the commandments, you would be on God’s Naughty list.
But instead of the Elf doing naughty things, you can have the elf doing good things.
A comment given to me
Last year after posting this, I got a comment from a guy calling himself Matt. Below is what he shared as a comment, you can still see his comment in the comments below.
I had some thoughts about the elf on the shelf too. We took a slightly different approach, and are using the elf this year to help emphasize God’s character. So many of the kids in my neighborhood do elf on the shelf, so there are easy opportunities to turn elf conversations into spiritual conversations. I’m calling it #myelfexperiment. Check it out if you’d like and let me know what you think. Each day I place the elf somewhere in the house, then write a note that points my kids to an attribute of God. For example, one day he was hanging from the pendulum of the grandfather clock, and the note read, ““God never changes; He always stays the same. He does not get old or tired. He does not change His name. Take time to thank Him for always loving you! Take time to thank your PARENTS for loving you, too!” The starting point of each note is God’s character, followed up by an appropriate application in response to God’s character. We’re posting a photo a day on our website in hopes to help other parents who have an elf on the shelf to use it as a means to point their kids to God. There’s been a very favorable response so far, and it’s helped to get more people interacting with our site. We are Discover God 4Kids, if you’d like to learn more about what we’re working on.
See what Matt is doing
Maybe if you must do the Elf on the Shelf, maybe do something like Matt is doing. Have the location of this elf point somewhere to Christ. Remember everything must point to Christ. We must have Christ be the center of everything. We answer to Him in the end. He is the one that died for our sins. You can read what he wrote as a guest blogger at DG4Kids post.
Like this one from December 4, 2014 … (Give some time for the Facebook embed to load)
And check this out too.
#myelfexperiment Day 2: Terwilliger (#elfontheshelf) found that the stopped clock in the living room reminded him that God Never Changes! Here was his message for my kids: “God never changes; He always stays the same. He does not get old or tired. He does not change His name. Take time to thank Him for always loving you! Take time to thank your PARENTS for loving you, too!”
Nevertheless, this is a great idea from Matt. I do know what man intends for evil, God has good to come out of it. But I still personally do not believe in supporting this ideology of this elf tradition. Today the World is trying its best to take away the birth of Christ in Christmas. They are trying to remove Christ. If we totally remove Christ out of Christmas, we only have Mas. So what are we then gonna say Happy Mas?
I will always say Merry CHRISTmas to anyone and everyone, even if you don’t celebrate it. I won’t deny Christ! If we deny Him before man, He will deny us before the Father. Be Bold! Be a witness for Christ.
First published December 8, 2014. Last republished or updated December 10, 2021.. #ElfOnTheShelf #MyElfExperiment
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- There Was Jesus is a Platinum SingleThere Was Jesus is now a Platinum Single - The hit Christian song There Was Jesus is a platinum single. #therewasjesus #ZachWilliams #DollyParton There Was Jesus is a Platinum Single appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at There Was Jesus is a Platinum Single ©2004-2022 by… Read more »
- Prayer BoxThe Dollar Tree sells Prayer Boxes #prayerbox Prayer Box appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Prayer Box ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Christian Movies,… Read more »
- Threading ThursdaySteve Sews Stuff Threading Thursday we gotta have thread to sew or quilt! Threading Thursday I guess threading is almost everyday, but I picked Thursday since they both start with a T. I just might blog about thread. Who knows! If you want to make pot holders or bowl cozies,… Read more »
- Good Morning Mercy by Jason CrabbGood Morning Mercy by Jason Crabb is this week’s Christian Music Monday #GoodMorningMercy #JasonCrabb Good Morning Mercy by Jason Crabb appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Good Morning Mercy by Jason Crabb ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner