California to revise indoor church guidelines after Supreme Court ruling – Unlike Tennessee, where I live, we got to go back to indoor in-person worship a while ago, however, California, still had an in-person Worship Ban. However, that all will soon change. #California
California to revise indoor church guidelines after Supreme Court ruling
From the office of Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, a new revised guidelines for indoor worship services will soon come out. This comes after the Supreme Court granted an emergency injection against a public health ban on the practice of singing, chanting and crowd size.
“We will continue to enforce the restrictions the Supreme Court left in place and, after reviewing the decision, we will issue revised guidelines for worship services to continue to protect the lives of Californians,” Daniel Lopez, the governor’s press secretary, said in a statement.
South Bay United Pentecostal Church challenged Newsom and California’s total ban on indoor services along with the the singing and chanting. The lawsuits were brought by two churches – South Bay United Pentecostal Church and Harvest Rock Church – although the ruling impacts all houses of worship in the state.
“The State has concluded, for example, that singing indoors poses a heightened risk of transmitting COVID–19. I see no basis in this record for overriding that aspect of the state public health framework. At the same time, the State’s present determination—that the maximum number of adherents who can safely worship in the most cavernous cathedral is zero—appears to reflect not expertise or discretion, but instead insufficient appreciation or consideration of the interests at stake.”Justice John Roberts
Justice Elena Kagan warned that the decision could end up costing lives.
A 6-3 decision was reached three judges, Justice Stephen Breyer, Justice Sonia Sotomayor and Justice Elena Kagan voted against the church while Chief Justice John Robert, Justices Neil Gorsuch, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh, supported the decision either in whole or in part.
“We are heartened by this order from the United States Supreme Court allowing South Bay to gather for worship this weekend while our case against Governor Newsom continues. Throughout the COVID lockdown, the governor has demonstrated a flagrant disregard for California’s citizens and their deeply and sincerely held religious beliefs, is so-called ‘reopening plan’ is structured on the same discriminatory principles as those of New York’s Governor Cuomo, which were soundly denounced by the Supreme Court in their Thanksgiving Eve decision in Diocese of Brooklyn v. Cuomo.”Charles LiMandri, special counsel for Thomas More Society, a national public interest law firm that worked with the church on the case
On Sunday, February 7, 2021, several churches like the Pasadena-based Harvest Rock Church praised the Supreme Court ruling but insisted they would still not be limited by the scope of the injunction.
In areas of major outbreaks to 25 percent capacity. Churches in areas with only moderate or minor outbreaks are limited to 50 percent, the Associated Press reported.
“Fifty percent of worship is singing. We’re going to sing no matter what,” Che Ahn, Harvest Rock’s senior pastor, told KCRA 3.
“Finally, Governor Gavin Newsom’s total ban on worship has come to an end,” said Liberty Counsel founder and chairman Mat Staver. “A pandemic is no excuse for violating the Constitution. Until today, California imposed the most severe restrictions on places of worship. Not anymore. We will continue to press this case until religious freedom is totally restored.”
“No doubt, California will argue on remand, as it has before, that its prohibitions are merely temporary because vaccinations are underway,” Gorsuch wrote in a concurring opinion journey by Thomas and Alito. “But the State’s ‘temporary’ ban on indoor worship has been in place since August 2020, and applied routinely since March. California no longer asks its movie studios, malls, and manicurists to wait. And one could be forgiven for doubting its asserted timeline. Government actors have been moving the goalposts on pandemic-related sacrifices for months, adopting new benchmarks that always seem to put restoration of liberty just around the corner. As this crisis enters its second year – and hovers over a second Lent, a second Passover, and a second Ramadan – it is too late for the State to defend extreme measures with claims of temporary exigency, if it ever could.”
Let’s keep all churches in our prayers, especial those with worship bans still in affect. Remember other countries, still have worse bans than us in the US!
Does your state or country still ban indoor in-person worship due to the pandemic?
Feel free to share in the comments below.
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Follow on Social Media
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Proverbs 1Proverbs 1: Today is Day 1 of the 31 Day Proverbs Challenge. Read Chapter One of the Book of Proverbs. #Proverbs #Proverbs1 #bgb2 #31DayProverbsChallenge #ProverbsChallenge Proverbs 1 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Proverbs 1 ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous… Read more »
- 31 Day Proverbs Challenge31 Day Proverbs Challenge - Proverbs Challenge: The 31 Day Proverbs Challenge is a challenge to read the Book of Proverbs in 31 days.Read one chapter per day for 31 days. Also includes a free Printable Checklist. 31 Day Proverbs Challenge appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full… Read more »
- International STAND UP to Bullying DayInternational STAND UP to Bullying Day - an awareness holiday to raise awareness against bullying. #Bullying International STAND UP to Bullying Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at International STAND UP to Bullying Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian… Read more »
- National Chili DayNational Chili Day - That dish with beans that makes a warm hearty meal has it's own holiday! #ChiliDay National Chili Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at National Chili Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A… Read more »
- Spring Ahead! Daylight Saving Time BeginsIt’s that time again! Time to SPRING AHEAD! or Spring Forward however you want to look at it. Basically for most of us we set our clocks ahead an hour before we go to bed. If we don't we may be late for church or even work. #timechange #daylightsavingtime #springahead… Read more »
- Acronym for PushAcronym for Push - This is a Christian acronym for the word Push. I did not write this but, It has been around for a while. Acronym for Push appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Acronym for Push ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- 4 Omni Attributes of God4 Omni Attributes of God - In this blog post I share the four omni's of God. #Omni 4 Omni Attributes of God appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 4 Omni Attributes of God ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian… Read more »
- OmnibenevolentOmnibenevolent - One of the omni's of God. In this post I share about what omnibenevolent means. #Omnibenevolent Omnibenevolent appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Omnibenevolent ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible,… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!