Facts about American sign language – American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. #ASL #SignLanguage #AmericanSignLanguage
Facts About American Sign Language
American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. Though ASL may be most widely embraced in families that include someone who is deaf or hard of hearing, anyone can benefit from learning this unique and valuable means of communicating.
What is ASL?
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), ASL is its own unique language that employs movements of both the hands and face. Though ASL has the same linguistic properties as spoken languages, its grammar differs from English.
Is sign language the same everywhere?
While it’s known as “American Sign Language,” ASL is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf and hard of hearing and is one of two official sign languages in Canada. In Mexico, where the primary spoken language is Spanish and not English, the deaf and hard of hearing primarily communicate using Lenguaje de Signos Mexicano, or LSM.
Though people in the United States and Canada communicate using ASL, the NIDCD notes that there is no universal sign language. In fact, British Sign Language, or BSL, is used across the pond in England, and people who know ASL may not be able to understand BSL, or vice versa.
The origins of ASL
The NIDCD notes that the exact origins of ASL are not clear, though some suggest it may trace its roots back hundreds of years. Those theories trace ASL to Langue des Signes Française (French Sign Language), or LSF. Modern ASL indeed includes some elements of LSF, which was used in France more than 200 years ago.
ASL and spoken languages
ASL is its own language that is distinct from English. The NIDCD notes that ASL features all the fundamental components of spoken languages, including rules governing pronunciation, word formation and word order. Some may even be surprised to learn that, like spoken languages such as English, ASL even has regional accents and dialects. The rhythm of signing, pronunciation, slang, and signs in ASL may differ depending on where the person signing is from.
ASL is vital to helping people who are deaf or hard of hearing communicate with their families. This unique language boasts a rich and interesting history.
What are some other Facts About American Sign Language?
If ou know any facts about sign language not mentioned in this post, feel free to share about it in the comments below. Maybe even share your experience in sign language. (Such as learning it and communicating with it).
Did you know they made The Jesus Film in Sign Language?
Learn World Deaf Day
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF213798
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Acronym for Father PrintableChristian acronym for the word "Father". It is done like a free verse acrostic poem. You can even download a free version! Written by Steve Patterson. #Father #Dad #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #FatherAcronym Acronym for Father Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Acronym for Father Printable… Read more »
- Coca-Cola Coffee Taste TestCoca-Cola Coffee Taste Test - I am going to taste test two of the Coca-Cola Coffee drinks. I will try the Coca-Cola Coffee with Vanilla and the Coca-Cola Coffee with Carmel. #CocaColaCoffee #CocaCola #Coffee Coca-Cola Coffee Taste Test appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Coca-Cola… Read more »
- CDC Issues Phases 2B and 3 of the Conditional Sailing OrderSteveZ MaskZ CDC Issues Phases 2B and 3 of the Conditional Sailing Order (CSO) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released guidance for cruise ships to undertake simulated voyages with volunteer passengers as part of its COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate application. #Sailing CDC Issues Phases 2B and… Read more »
- Happy Mother’s DayHappy Mother's Day: A Special greeting for all the moms, Bible verses on "Mother" & a list of all blog entries pertaining to mom. #MothersDay #Moms Happy Mother’s Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Mother’s Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- The Happy Birthday SongThe Happy Birthday Song - The pinnacle of birthday celebrations, if there's no piñata to break open, is when the birthday cake comes out and party attendees serenade the guest of honor. #HappyBirthdayToYou #Birthday #BirthdaySong The Happy Birthday Song appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at… Read more »
- National Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial DayNational Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial Day - A week long day to honor our police officers and a day to remember those peace officers as well. National Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at National Police Week… Read more »
- Mother’s Day was Invented in KentuckyMother’s Day was Invented in Kentucky #MothersDay Mother’s Day was Invented in Kentucky appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Mother’s Day was Invented in Kentucky ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology,… Read more »
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month – You Can Have a #RealConvo with MeMay is Mental Health Awareness Month.You Can Have a #RealConvo with Me. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is focusing their attention on having a #RealConvo about mental health. They learned through a recent Harris Poll that 89 percent. May is Mental Health Awareness Month – You Can Have a… Read more »
- Can I travel after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?SteveZ MaskZ Can I travel after getting the COVID-19 vaccine? Experts say that those who have been fully vaccinated (receiving both shots for the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines or one for the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine) it is likely safe to travel again. #FullyVaccinated #COVID19Vaccine #Travel Can I travel after… Read more »
- Cinco de MayoCinco de Mayo - literally translate as 5th of May. This is a holiday mostly celebrated in Mexico to commemorate the Mexican Army's difficult victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862. #CincodeMayo Cinco de Mayo appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the… Read more »
- The Benefits of HobbiesSteveZ MaskZ The Benefits of Hobbies - Hobbies can benefit people in some interesting ways. Understanding those hidden benefits may compel some people to make more time for their favorite downtime activities. #Hobbies The Benefits of Hobbies appeared first on SteveZ MaskZ. Read more »
- Way-FM’s CJ is now Chris on Air1Way-FM's CJ is now Chris on Air1 - Way-FM"s DJ known as CJ has left their radio station and now a part of Air1 as Chris. #WayFM #Air1 #ChrisLusk #CJLusk Way-FM’s CJ is now Chris on Air1 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Way-FM’s CJ… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!