Facts about American sign language – American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. #ASL #SignLanguage #AmericanSignLanguage
Facts About American Sign Language
American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. Though ASL may be most widely embraced in families that include someone who is deaf or hard of hearing, anyone can benefit from learning this unique and valuable means of communicating.
What is ASL?
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), ASL is its own unique language that employs movements of both the hands and face. Though ASL has the same linguistic properties as spoken languages, its grammar differs from English.
Is sign language the same everywhere?
While it’s known as “American Sign Language,” ASL is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf and hard of hearing and is one of two official sign languages in Canada. In Mexico, where the primary spoken language is Spanish and not English, the deaf and hard of hearing primarily communicate using Lenguaje de Signos Mexicano, or LSM.
Though people in the United States and Canada communicate using ASL, the NIDCD notes that there is no universal sign language. In fact, British Sign Language, or BSL, is used across the pond in England, and people who know ASL may not be able to understand BSL, or vice versa.
The origins of ASL
The NIDCD notes that the exact origins of ASL are not clear, though some suggest it may trace its roots back hundreds of years. Those theories trace ASL to Langue des Signes Française (French Sign Language), or LSF. Modern ASL indeed includes some elements of LSF, which was used in France more than 200 years ago.
ASL and spoken languages
ASL is its own language that is distinct from English. The NIDCD notes that ASL features all the fundamental components of spoken languages, including rules governing pronunciation, word formation and word order. Some may even be surprised to learn that, like spoken languages such as English, ASL even has regional accents and dialects. The rhythm of signing, pronunciation, slang, and signs in ASL may differ depending on where the person signing is from.
ASL is vital to helping people who are deaf or hard of hearing communicate with their families. This unique language boasts a rich and interesting history.
What are some other Facts About American Sign Language?
If ou know any facts about sign language not mentioned in this post, feel free to share about it in the comments below. Maybe even share your experience in sign language. (Such as learning it and communicating with it).
Did you know they made The Jesus Film in Sign Language?
Learn World Deaf Day
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF213798
by click on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
- The Great Pumpkin AnalogyLinus & the The Great Pumpkin, from It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, is a good analogy to use when we talk about having faith Linus shows great faith. We need to have similar faith but our faith needs to be in Christ! #GreatPumpkin #faith #Linus #CharlieBrown The Great Pumpkin… Read more »
- 4 Choices when confronting A mountain4 Choices when confronting A mountain - When we are confronted with a mountain in front of us we have four choices. #mountain 4 Choices when confronting A mountain appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 4 Choices when confronting A mountain ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Halloween AlternativesHalloween alternatives: Facts on Halloween & Bible verses that pertain to not dealing or imitate darkness, evil, spirits. Participating in Halloween may seem fun. But, there is nothing fun about playing on Satan’s playground. It does not matter how many other people are playing there with you. We should be… Read more »
- October the 8th Month?October the 8th Month? What are you talking about? August is the 8th month Steve! Find out why October is no longer the 8th month. #October #August #8thMonth #10MonthCalendar #12MonthCalendar October the 8th Month? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at October the 8th Month? ©2004-2021… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly