National Lasagna Day – Lasagna is one of my favorite foods to make and eat. There always seems to be a holiday for everything today. #LasagnaDay
Go to a restaurant and eat some yummy lasagna or make one of your own. A lasagna is usually layered with special lasagna noodles. People put all kinds of things in it. Some of the main things are the lasagna noodles (flat type of noodle), marinara sauce, Italian cheeses, cottage cheese and/or ricotta cheese. Some will put ground beef or a pork sausage in it. (Maybe mixture of both). I have even used pepperoni in mine too. Others will add mushrooms and/or spinach.
I even made one with Alfredo sauce and chicken meat in stead of marinara and beef.
Fazoli’s has been one of my favorite lasagnas, but I will have to say the best lasagna I have ever had is from Papalenos in Berea, KY.
Check out my bow tie lasagna using a crock pot.
While most people cook them in the oven or a slow cooker (crock pot). I hear that MythBusters said it is feasible to cook a lasagna in the dishwasher. I do not think I would want to eat this one.
Tid-Bits about lasagna
- The word lasagna refers to a pot, not the dish.
- A recipe from the 14th century has featured lasagna in that cook book, called Loseyn, from England.
- When, I think of lasagna, I also think of the old cartoon character, Garfield.
- In other languages they may call it lasagne. Napes, Italy is one of the first known cities to make lasagna.
- Some reports say even Ancient Greece had a dish that was very similar, called lasanum. This could have been the first lasagna.
- According to Guinness World Records, the world’s largest lasagna was created by Magillo Restaurant and Macro Supermarket in Wieliczka, Poland. On June 20, 2012, more than 5,000 people contributed to making the enormous lasagna that measured 25m by 2.5m and contained 800kg of meat, 500 liters of tomato sauce, 2,500kg of lasagna pasta sheets and 400kg of mozzarella cheese.
- Mexican food has a similar using refried beans and other items found in Mexican Food.
The founding of this day is not certain, but some reports show around the 21st Century. Just like National Chicken Wing Day, National Lasagna Day is held annually on July 29.
|Date:||Annually on July 29|
Also on this day! Chicken Wing Day!
First Published July 29, 2017. Last Updated or republished July 27, 2019.
A Christian Blogger that enjoys blogging about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Family, Cats, Odd Holidays and much more. I have been blogging since 2004, however, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. I enjoy listening to Christian Music. I am married with 1 daughter, 2 step-sons and a step daughter.