Why do we beep going through a tunnel? Is it because of superstition or for safety? Maybe another reason? #Tunnels
Why do we beep going through a tunnel?
I remember as a kid, if we went into a tunnel, we always honked our horn. I do it still today, like the tunnels in Gatlinburg or even Cumberland Gap Tunnel.
I know some tunnels were one way, you could go in and out via either side. So that is one way to say it is for safety. Then, there is just beeping for the fun of it. But, could we also do it because of superstition?
Some people claim to do it for luck. Other’s don’t notice they are doing it, but do it out of habit. However, when it comes to those who do it for superstition, they claim to do it ward off evil spirits.
While an article in the Citizen Times states that tunnel honking began as a safety precaution. This article specifically talks about Beaucatcher Tunnel in Asheville, NC.
In some place it is illegal to blow your horn in a tunnel.
This list of tunnels are in Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina and Virginia that are relatively close to me.
- Bachman Tubes (Chattanoga, TN)
- Backbone Rock Tunnel (Damascus, VA and Shady Valley, TN – Tennessee/Virigina State Line))
- Big Witch Tunnel (Cherokee, NC)
- Bote Mountain Tunnel (Blount County, TN)
- Bunches Bald Tunnel (Maggie Valley, NC)
- Cades Cove Tunnel (Townsend, TN)
- Cumberland Gap Tunnel (Harogate, TN / Middlesboro, KY – Tennessee/Kentucky State Line)
- Egg-Shaped Tunnel (Gray, KY)
- Lickstone Ridge Tunnel (Maggie Valley, NC)
- Rattlesnake Mountain Tunnel (Cherokee, NC)
- Road to Nowhere Tunnel (Bryson City, NC)
- Sensabaugh Tunnel (Near Kingsport, TN / Virginia Border)
- Sherrill Cove Tunnel (Cherokee, NC)
- Tunnels Near Gatlinburg, TN
- Wagonroad Tunnel (Harlan, KY)
If you know of any other tunnels near by to East Tennessee area, feel free to share in the comments below.
Speaking of tunnels! Check out this blog post about the light at the end of the tunnel!
Why do you beep in a tunnel?
Feel free to share in the comments below. I know I do it for fun. I never really thought about it until my wife showed me the article from heSmokies.com.