Trick or Treat Age Restriction Laws – in some cities or states, it is illegal to trick or treat for candy on Halloween if you are over a certain age.
In some of these cities or states, you can be fined and/or jailed if caught or even a misdemeanor.
Check out this list below!
- Virginia City, VA – No one over 13 not permitted
- Chesapeake, VA – No one over 14 not permitted
- Newport News, VA – No one over 12 is permitted.
- Norfolk, VA – No one over 12 is permitted.
- Portsmith, VA – No one over 12 is permitted.
- Suffolk, VA – No one over 12 is permitted.
- Belleville, IL – No one over 12 can wear a mask or trick or treat.
- Walnut, CA – No one, no matter the age, can wear a mask or dress up on a public street, including Halloween.
- Rehoboth Beach, DE it is illegal to trick or treat on a Sunday. It must then be done on that Saturday the 30th. No one over 14 is permitted to trick or treat.
- Alabama – it is illegal to dress up as a religious figure, period. Including Halloween.
- Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada no one over 17.
- Vendargues, France – no one can dress as a clown. No one can trick or treat that is over 13.
- New Jersey’s Upper Deerfield Township – no one 13 or older
- Charleston, SC no one 16 or older.
- There are more!
The Chesapeake law was set in 1970 to help keep peace and order.
Some states will only allow trick or treating during a certain time period. Some states end at 7 p.m., while others end a 8 p.m.
These laws do make you question those with special needs, autism, that makes them seem like they are much younger than they are.
Do your town limit the age for trick or treating or any other limits on the act?
Feel free to share in the comments below.
Check back as I may add more when I find them or update these.
These laws I am sure are subject to change without notice. Check with your local laws about trick or treating. This includes wearing of mask, costumes, times, days, ages, etc.
I enjoy listening to nothing but Christian Music. Camping and hiking is something that I enjoy. I guess that is because I am an Eagle Scout. Blogging is something I enjoy doing too. I have been blogging since 2004. However, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. I am married with 1 daughter and 2 step-sons and a step daughter.