The Legend of the Donkey’s Cross – How the donkey that carried Jesus now bares a cross on its back. #Donkey #DoneysCross
The Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
You hear about this more around Easter, but often you also hear about it during Christmas too.
A poor farmer near Jerusalem owned a donkey far too small to do much work at all. He felt that he couldn’t afford to feed a worthless animal like this, one that could do him no good whatsoever, so at the supper table he told his family that he was going to kill the donkey.
His children, who loved the little donkey, begged him to sell it rather than harm it. But the farmer said, “It’s wrong to sell an animal that can’t do a good day’s work.”
Then his oldest daughter suggested, “Father, tie the donkey to a tree on the road to town, and say whoever wants it may take it for nothing.” And the next morning, that’s what the farmer did.
Soon, two men approached and asked if they could have the donkey. “It can carry almost nothing,” the farmer warned them.
“Jesus of Nazareth has need of it,” replied one of the men. The farmer couldn’t imagine what a great teacher would want with such a worthless donkey, but he handed it over.
The men took the animal to Jesus, who stroked the grateful donkey’s face and then mounted it and rode away. So it was on the day we call Palm Sunday, Jesus led his followers into the city of Jerusalem riding on the back of a small, common donkey.
The donkey so loved his gentle master that he later followed him to Calvary. Grief-stricken by the sight of Jesus on the cross, the donkey turned away but couldn’t leave. It was then that the shadow of the cross fell upon the shoulders and back of the donkey, and there it stayed. All donkeys have borne the sign of the cross on their backs since that very day.
Excerpted from Sue Weaver, The Donkey Companion (Storey Publishing, 2008).
Learn about the Talking Donkey in the Bible!
First published December 12, 2020. Last updated or republished March 29, 2021.
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Face Mask
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Snoopy & Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Snoopy Easter Face Mask
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
by click on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- A-Z of ThanksgivingA-Z of Thanksgiving a list of things Thanksgiving from A to Z. #Thanksgiving A-Z of Thanksgiving appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A-Z of Thanksgiving ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology,… Read more »
- A-Z of HalloweenA-Z of Halloween this is a list of things Halloween from A-Z. #halloween A-Z of Halloween appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A-Z of Halloween ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology,… Read more »
- Why do we say trick or treatWhy do we say trick or treat - Kids and adults alike cry out "trick or treat" at each house they visit. Many utter this familiar phrase without a second thought and may have no idea how this familiar custom came to be. #halloween #trickortreat #tricksortreats Why do we say… Read more »
- Bring Your Bible to School DayBring Your Bible to School Day - Students, mark your calendar for Bring your Bible to School Day. Tell your friends, family and everyone! Share this blog post so others will know about it too. Do you know that what you bring to school says a lot about you. You… Read more »
- Where were you when the world stop turning that September Day?Where were you when the world stop turning that September day? That day America was attacked by terrorist. 9/11 We will never forget. #PatriotDay #911 #September11 Where were you when the world stop turning that September Day? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Where were… Read more »
- Read through the Bible PlanRead through the Bible Plan - a YouVersion Bible App reading plan that will allow you to read the whole bible in one year. #YouVersion Read through the Bible Plan appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Read through the Bible Plan ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Nobody obeys the speed limitNobody obeys the speed limit - You can go 35 mph in the school now and people still swing by here. You can go 45 mph instructions on and still be home in by two. #speed #speeding #speedlimit Nobody obeys the speed limit appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read… Read more »
- International Talk Like a Pirate DayCap'n ChristianBlogR says take the family out for some free fish or chicken & free donuts! Share some Bible Stories of the Sea on International Talk Like A Pirate Day. #ITLAPD2017 #TalkLikeAPirateDay #PirateDay #TalkLikeAPirateDay #LJPirateDay #KKPirateDay #ITLAPD #Pirate International Talk Like a Pirate Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- CPR acronymCPR acronym - a Christian acronym for CPR. #CPR CPR acronym appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at CPR acronym ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Christian… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!