The Happy Birthday Song – The pinnacle of birthday celebrations, if there’s no piñata to break open, is when the birthday cake comes out and party attendees serenade the guest of honor. #HappyBirthdayToYou #Birthday #BirthdaySong
The Happy Birthday Song
The pinnacle of birthday celebrations, if there’s no piñata to break open, is when the birthday cake comes out and party attendees serenade the guest of honor. The song everyone harmonizes to is among the most widely recognized and well-loved tunes in the world. The “birthday song,” also known as “Happy Birthday to You,” is in the public domain in the United States and the European Union. The song originally was penned as a classroom greeting song titled “Good Morning to All,” written by sisters Mildred J. Hill and Patty Smith Hill. Both were educators and developed unique teaching strategies to assist students. The song was composed by Mildred and the lyrics were written by Patty to be used in kindergarten classrooms.
It is unclear who changed the lyrics and turned the song into a birthday ditty, as none of the earliest references to the song included credits or copyright notices. Two tales circulate regarding the eventual copyright of the song. One has The Summy Company registering a copyright in 1935, crediting authors Preston Ware Orem and Mrs. R. R. Forman. The other says Jessica Hill, sister to Mildred and Patty, who was working with publisher Clayton F. Summy Company, copyrighted and published “Happy Birthday to You” in 1935. Eventually Warner Chappell bought the company that was originally The Summy Company, and argued the birthday song was under copyright until 2030, making performances of the song illegal without paying royalties. However, a federal judge ruled in 2015 that Warner Chappell’s claim to a copyright on the song was not valid. The judge ruled its registration only covered a specific piano version, not the melody and lyrics. Therefore, “Happy Birthday to You” can be sung both privately and publicly without being subject to royalties or other restrictions.
Seeing this article made me think of my niece who would love to say the ones you often hear at restaurants … I don’t know what I’ve been told … Someone here is getting old.
None the less, I think despite you can sing it now, people are now custom to hearing the variety takes on the Birthday Song at various restaurants.
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF216043
by click on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- Happy Father’s DayHappy Father's Day! I share about the brief history of this day. I even share some much read Father related blog post. #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #Father #Dad #Daddy Happy Father’s Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Father’s Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Father Knows Best Church SignFather Knows Best Church Sign This church sign in Greeneville, TN is this weeks Church Sign Saturday. #FathersDay #ChurchSign Father Knows Best Church Sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Father Knows Best Church Sign ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous… Read more »
- Skittles you are wrong the only rainbow that matters is God’s RainbowSkittles you are wrong the only rainbow that matters is God’s Rainbow which you claim Is the Pride rainbow in this display. #Skittles #Rainbow Skittles you are wrong the only rainbow that matters is God’s Rainbow appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Skittles you are… Read more »
- AncestryDNA Kit ReviewAncestryDNA Kit Review - I recently took the AncestryDNA Kit and I am going to share about my experience. #AncestryDNA #DNAKit AncestryDNA Kit Review appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at AncestryDNA Kit Review ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- The Adventure Bible For Kids ReviewThe Adventure Bible For Kids Review I got to review this Bible for kids. #Bible #AdventureBible #bgbg2 #BibleGatewayPartner The Adventure Bible For Kids Review appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Adventure Bible For Kids Review ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian… Read more »
- Acronym for Father PrintableChristian acronym for the word "Father". It is done like a free verse acrostic poem. You can even download a free version! Written by Steve Patterson. #Father #Dad #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #FatherAcronym Acronym for Father Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Acronym for Father Printable… Read more »
- Twas the Day After Bible School PrintableTwas the Day After Bible School Printable - Here is a free printable about a poem about the day after Vacation Bible School. This talks about the day after Vacation Bible School is done. I also make up a printable version too. #VBS #VacationBibleSchool Twas the Day After Bible School… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!