The Dogwood Tree, According to legend, the Dogwood once grew as a tall, straight tree, but when the Dogwood was used to make the cross, Jesus was so moved that … Find out more about this legend.
The Dogwood Tree
Here is that Dogwood Tree sign.
“According to legend, the Dogwood once grew as a tall, straight tree, but when the Dogwood was used to make the cross, Jesus was so moved that He promised the tree would never again grow large enough to be used for such a purpose. It is said that the bracts of the Dogwood flower resemble the Cross and bear nail marks of the crucifixion. The Red leaves in fall has been associated with the Savior’s Blood on Calvary.”
Just a legend
Again this is just legend. There is no Biblical backing to state this legend. If you noticed, it does mention first off, According to legend! But never the less I figured it was an interesting legend and wanted to share with my readers. Dolly Parton is big about her faith. You can go into one of her theaters and she shares about her faith.
Comes around Easter
This legend does come about around Easter often. I think that is because in early Spring the Dogwood tree starts to bloom. Even though this is not proven in Bible, but the legend does have us of a way to remind of what Christ done for us. In East Tennessee the Knoxville area we usually have the Dogwood Arts Festival in April.
Remember the only thing that holds true is the Bible. God’s word is true! It is the only book we can count on and rely on. It tells us of what has happened and what will happen. Also remember legends are simply that, legends.
Something interesting about the Dogwood Tree in Tennessee
Found naturally in over one-third of all Tennessee counties, Cornus florida or flowering dogwood, is among the state’s favorite trees. It is one of the most beautiful smaller trees around, bringing ornamental value to the landscape year-round. It blooms in April, the perfect month to notice its beauty.1
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Emoji Easter Story Printable
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- He is Risen Display
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- University of Tennessee Rock painted with an Easter Message, The
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Easter list last updated April 19, 2022.
First published May 1, 2013 — Last republished or updated February 19, 2021.
1. Bazillion Blooms
Affiliate link used.