30+ Strange & Weird Sunday Laws – Otherwise known as Blue Laws, laws that prohibit things on the Lord’s Day (Sunday). #SundayLaws #BlueLaws
30+ Strange & Weird Sunday Laws (Blue Laws)
These are either laws that use to be in effect or still are in effect. I heard a radio station, J103, mention some while listening to their station. So I thought I would come up with a list for you all. Some of these are called Blue Laws, laws that prevent you from doing things on God’s Day.
- You cannot eat candy hour and half before church on Sunday. – Salem, West Virginia
- It’s Illegal to eat ice cream at a counter on Sunday. – Winona Lake, Wisconsin
Those were the two I heard on their radio station. So I figured I would look up more and share them below.
- One may not carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday. – Georgia
- You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday. – Rhode Island
- Mattress sales are strictly prohibited on Sunday. – Washington
- Picture taking is illegal before noon on Sunday. – Arizona
- You can’t buy bologna on a Sunday. – Tennessee This one I never heard of and I live in Tennessee!
- Playing dominoes on Sunday is illegal. – Alabama
- Cannot eat a hamburger on Sunday. – St. Cloud, Minnesota
- It’s illegal to sell musical instruments on Sundays. – South Carolina
- It is illegal to go to bed without bathing, however, in the same state, law prohibits bathing on Sundays. – Massachusetts
- It is illegal to fish for a whale on Sunday. – Ohio
- Unmarried women who parachute can be arrested and jailed on a Sunday – Florida
- It illegal to go fishing alone on Sunday. – Montana
- Car sales are prohibited on Sunday. – Colorado and New Jersey
- Car sales are prohibited on Sundays unless it is equipped with onboard plumbing! – Maine
- Illegal to buy diapers on Sunday. – Texas
- It is illegal to fart in public after six o’clock in the evening on Sundays – Florida
- Illegal to cut off a chicken’s head on Sundays. – Georgia
- You cannot walk down the Broadway street with chickens held upside down by their feet. – Georgia
- It is illegal to eat a chicken with anything other than a persons hands.- Georgia
- You can’t order a slice of cherry pie a la mode. – Kansas
- Banning of marbles, dominoes and yo-yos. – Several States (not sure when ones)
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 PM on Sunday. – Arkansas
- Horse racing is prohibited on Sundays unless authorized by the local municipality. – Illinois
- Christmas sales are still prohibited on Sunday. – Indiana
- Sale of alcohol products. – Most States (some states are appealing this law)
- Professional sports teams are prohibited from playing games before 1 p.m. on a Sunday unless a local law or a local ordinance allows it. – Maryland
- Many goods and items are restricted from being sold between midnight and noon on Sunday. – North Dakota
- Organized sports competition on Sundays was illegal until 1931. – Pennsylvania
- No animal may be hunted on Sunday with the exception of raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 AM. – Virginia
- you’re prohibited from eating cottage cheese after 6 pm on a Sunday. Tampa Bay, FL
- It is illegal to make a person in church laugh by wearing a fake mustache on Sunday. – Alabama
This just shows you how crazy and weird some of these laws are.
Do you know of any more crazy Blue Laws (laws that prohibit you from doing anything on a Sunday?)
If so, feel free to share them in the comment and I just might add them to this list.
My name is Steve Patterson and I am saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. I have been blogging at Courageous Christian Father since 2012, however, I have been blogging since around 2004. I listen to nothing but Christian Music. I work as a graphic designer.