Reformation Day! Many of us know October 31 has Halloween, but did you know that October 31 is also Reformation Day? #ReformationDay #Reformation
2017 marked the 500th year since Martin Luther nailed the 95 Thesis to the church door!
Reformation Day is a religious holiday celebrated alongside All Hallows’ Eve. It is to help remember the Reformation by Martin Luther. Celebrated mainly with the protestant churches like the Lutherans and the Reformation Church.1
“Reformation Day marked a departure from doctrinal error and superstition and a return to the Bible. Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.”
Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany and the Protestant Reformation was born. Luther questioned some of the practices of the Catholic Church. This was on October 31, 1517. The 95 Thesis was originally written in Latin. It was later translated into German.2
Most churches celebrate Reformation Sunday, instead of Reformation Day. Reformation Sunday is the Sunday before October 31 and makes All Saints Day on or before November 1.1
The holiday commemorates the actions of a man who was willing to stand against the ideas of his day and to present God’s Word as our guide for salvation (John 3:16) and Christian living.3
In his preaching and writing, Luther began to emphasize two main points: justification by faith and the priesthood of all believers. Justification by faith means that Christians can never earn God’s love or forgiveness. All that Christians must do is to accept God as God, and God will love and forgive and cherish them. The priesthood of all believers means that every Christian has his or her own personal relationship with God, reading the Bible and worshiping in his or her own language, and praying directly to God without anyone’s going in between.4
The 95 powerful statements defended the Authentic Christian faith against misleading religious practices. These became a catalyst for the Protestant Reformation and inspired people to pursue true repentance and a foundation built on Biblical Truths for their faith.
October 31st is also known as National Evangelism Day.
Grace Alone – Faith Alone – Christ Alone
One Million Tracts has a gospel tract about Reformation Day. This is what the front of the tract says.
The 5 Solas
- Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
- Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
- Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
- Solus Christus or Solo Christo (Christ Alone)
- Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God Alone)
Happy Reformation Day! (It isn’t just Halloween)
The truth written here is sweeter and lasts an eternity longer than any Halloween candy! On October 31st, 1517, Pastor and Professor Martin Luther nailed a list of 95 arguments on a church door in Germany. Back then that’s how you started a discussion. Luther’s arguments gained wide acceptance and were sent throughout Europe via the newly invented printing press. His central concern was the Roman Catholic Church teaching that rejected the Bible’s simple instruction that one can be made right with God, but only by faith in God’s Son, Jesus Christ.
Departure from doctrinal error
I saw this posted on Todd Stinnett’s Facebook page. “It marked a departure from doctrinal error and superstition and a return to the Bible. Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.” My friend, Pastor Justin Breeden shared his post on his wall, in 2015, that is how I saw this. Stinnett, a resident of Powell, TN. A town not too far from Jefferson City where I live. It’s just north of Knoxville. The image that I used came from that blog post.5
I think the above quotes and rewrites from the sources below sum up what Reformation Day is. If you want to dig deeper, feel free to click on the links below. You can also do a google search and find more.
I will not recant full length movie on Martin Luther
- WikiPedia | Reformation Day
- WikiPedia | The 95 Thesis
- Got Questions
- Sunday School Lessons
- Todd Stinnett | Facebook
First published October 31, 2015. Last Republished October 10, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- 10 Digit Dialing10 Digit Dialing a new requirement for many places to dial the full 10 digit phone number fir all local calls. 10 Digit Dialing appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 10 Digit Dialing ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the countryLego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country - Yes! Those old unused lego bricks can get a new home! #Lego #LegoReplay #LegoMaster #LegoBrick Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country appeared first on Courageous… Read more »
- Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your ProblemVanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem. Only one person can! Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about… Read more »
- ForgivenessForgiveness can be easier said than done. Do you easily forgive others when they do wrong to you? Have you ever had anyone not forgive you and you wished they did? What does it mean to forgive? #forgiveness #BGBG2 Forgiveness appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly