PTO Fundraising Alternatives – Some schools are saying they are limiting or getting rid of PTO and they are seeking ways to gain extra funds for the school. This one school is looking at Fundraising Alternatives.
PTO Fundraising Alternatives
I don’t mean Paid Time Off, I am talking about the Parent Teacher Organization.
A Parent Teacher Association (PTA), Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) or Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) is a formal organization composed of parents, teachers and staff that is intended to facilitate parental participation in a school.1
Some places are asking to donate money instead of paying to buy stuff to make cookies or a baked goods. Check out this letter from Sebastian Middle School (SMS). It gives ides of alternatives to fundraisers.
Instead of sending students home with a catalog of items to sell door-to-door, which requires collecting money and delivering goods for which (said school) only keeps 40% of the price, the PTO is trying something new this year! In place of catalog sales, we invite you to make an outright donation to (said school), 100% of which will be used to support our students and teachers. We hope the following suggested amounts might help you decide how much to give. Thank you in advance for your support!
- $10 – I do not want to bake, so here is the money I would have spent on cupcakes.
- $25 – I do not want to hit up friends, family or co-workers, so here is the money I would have spent on wrapping paper.
- $50 – I do not want to walk, swim or run in any activity that has the word “THON” in it.
- $100 – I really wouldn’t have helped anyway, so here is $100 donation to forgive me for not showing up at PTO meetings or events.
- $___ – I am making this donation to express my appreciation for having nothing to buy, sell or do except fill out this form.
Paper Continues …
Then the paper goes on to ask for your Name, Phone, Student(s), Grade and Email Address.
Plus the paper also had a bottom that reads
Please return this form by (Date) to your student’s homeroom teachers in an envelope marked (Said School) PTO. Questions? Please contact us at (Said Schools Email PTO Person).
Note: If we don’t succeed in meeting our goal of raising, (Said dollar amount), we still may have a catalog fundraiser. Just saying. Thanks Again!
What are your thoughts on this form of PTO Fundraising? Feel free to share in the comments below.
My name is Steve Patterson and I am saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. I have been blogging at Courageous Christian Father since 2012, however, I have been blogging since around 2004. I listen to nothing but Christian Music. I work as a graphic designer.