October the 8th Month? What are you talking about? August is the 8th month Steve! Find out why October is no longer the 8th month. #October
August is the 8th month of the year! But, did you know that October use to be the 8th month of the year? Many people are aware that the prefix “oct” means “eight” but are unsure why October isn’t the eighth month of the year. If you think about it, an octagon has eight sides.
The answer is that October at one point was, in fact, the eighth month of the year. There were initially 10 months in the Roman calendar, which started with March. Eventually adding January and February and then the months no longer lined up sequentially – making October the tenth month of the year.
That would mean August was the 6th month then. I am not sure why they didn’t keep October as the 8th month. If they did that would mean by birthday would be October instead of August. However, October was always linked to the autumn season. They knew they had to add 2 months during the winter.
Just think if they added days to the months of the year instead and kept the 10-month calendar. They would have to add 59 days to those 10 months, or 60 during a leap year. That calendar has six months of 30 days and four months at 31 days. That brings us to a total of 304 days per year. We have 365 days currently. Roughly 61 more days!
The calendar didn’t seem to sync with seasons, so they figured out they needed to added days, and in order to do that they added two months, instead of adding days onto the existing months. I estimate if they choose to add days to the months, then they would need to add five to six days to each month. So instead of 30 to 31 days per month, we would have ended up with 35 to 36. But, they choose to add two months instead. Even creating a Leap Year.
I guess that might be mostly why they would say in the Year of this king and that king. They would also state the length of that reign too. I am sure trying to remember what day it was, was confusing back then. Today, we have technology that tells us the exact day and time.
The original Romans 10 Month Calendar list and the order of the months.
- Martius (March)
- Aprilis (April)
- Maius (May)
- Iunius (June)
- Quintilis (Fifth – July)
- Sextilis (Sixth – August)
- September (Seventh)
- October (Eighth)
- November (Ninth)
- December (Tenth)
So as you can see … October the 8th Month … Yes it was at one time!
First published August 4, 2017. Last updated or republished October 1, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- Acronym for Father PrintableChristian acronym for the word "Father". It is done like a free verse acrostic poem. You can even download a free version! Written by Steve Patterson. #Father #Dad #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #FatherAcronym Acronym for Father Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Acronym for Father Printable… Read more »
- The Leaning Barn – propping me up on the leaning sideThe Leaning Barn - propping me up on the leaning side - “A pastor of a small church would occasionally call on one gentleman to pray, and every time this one particular guy would pray, he would end with the strangest statement, “And, oh Lord, prop us up on our… Read more »
- Born again not born against
- Gas pricesGas prices funny - These gas prices are probably the reason the armies in the Book of Revelation are riding horses.#gasprices Gas prices appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Gas prices ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to churchDon’t wait for the hearse to take you to church by then it’s too late! #church #bgbg2 #hearse Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Don’t wait for the hearse to take you to church ©2004-2022… Read more »
- What the world would be like if fabric did not existSteve Sews Stuff What the world would be like if fabric did not exist - this is how I think it might be if fabric didn’t exist. #fabric What the world would be like if fabric did not exist appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner