October the 8th Month? What are you talking about? August is the 8th month Steve! Find out why October is no longer the 8th month. #October
August is the 8th month of the year! But, did you know that October use to be the 8th month of the year? Many people are aware that the prefix “oct” means “eight” but are unsure why October isn’t the eighth month of the year. If you think about it, an octagon has eight sides.
The answer is that October at one point was, in fact, the eighth month of the year. There were initially 10 months in the Roman calendar, which started with March. Eventually adding January and February and then the months no longer lined up sequentially – making October the tenth month of the year.
That would mean August was the 6th month then. I am not sure why they didn’t keep October as the 8th month. If they did that would mean by birthday would be October instead of August. However, October was always linked to the autumn season. They knew they had to add 2 months during the winter.October use to be the 8th month, as Oct means 8. But why is it now the 10th month? Find out here! #October Click To Tweet
Just think if they added days to the months of the year instead and kept the 10-month calendar. They would have to add 59 days to those 10 months, or 60 during a leap year. That calendar has six months of 30 days and four months at 31 days. That brings us to a total of 304 days per year. We have 365 days currently. Roughly 61 more days!
The calendar didn’t seem to sync with seasons, so they figured out they needed to added days, and in order to do that they added two months, instead of adding days onto the existing months. I estimate if they choose to add days to the months, then they would need to add five to six days to each month. So instead of 30 to 31 days per month, we would have ended up with 35 to 36. But, they choose to add two months instead. Even creating a Leap Year.
I guess that might be mostly why they would say in the Year of this king and that king. They would also state the length of that reign too. I am sure trying to remember what day it was, was confusing back then. Today, we have technology that tells us the exact day and time.
The original Romans 10 Month Calendar list and the order of the months.
- Martius (March)
- Aprilis (April)
- Maius (May)
- Iunius (June)
- Quintilis (Fifth – July)
- Sextilis (Sixth – August)
- September (Seventh)
- October (Eighth)
- November (Ninth)
- December (Tenth)
So as you can see … October the 8th Month … Yes it was at one time!
First published August 4, 2017. Last updated or republished October 1, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- 10 Digit Dialing10 Digit Dialing a new requirement for many places to dial the full 10 digit phone number fir all local calls. 10 Digit Dialing appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 10 Digit Dialing ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the countryLego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country - Yes! Those old unused lego bricks can get a new home! #Lego #LegoReplay #LegoMaster #LegoBrick Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country appeared first on Courageous… Read more »
- Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your ProblemVanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem. Only one person can! Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about… Read more »
- ForgivenessForgiveness can be easier said than done. Do you easily forgive others when they do wrong to you? Have you ever had anyone not forgive you and you wished they did? What does it mean to forgive? #forgiveness #BGBG2 Forgiveness appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly