National Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial Day – A week long day to honor our police officers and a day to remember those peace officers as well.
National Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial Day
Every day, our nation’s police officers put their lives on the line to protect our neighborhoods and keep us safe. The positive impact of their service and dedication to our communities and our country is invaluable, and we owe them the full measure of our respect and gratitude. During National Police Week, we honor the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty and recognize those who continue to serve our communities as officers of the law.
We honor the officers who lost their lives while protecting the safety of others. Our nation’s police work hard every day to ensure safety and order in our communities, and we’re grateful for their dedication, skill, courage and sacrifice.
This police recognition week is always the week of May 15, including if May 15 falls on Sunday. It always starts that Sunday and ends Saturday.
In 2021, it is May 9th to May 15th
It was in 1962, President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation designating May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which that date falls as Police Week.
It is sponsored by the Grand Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Events usually include:
- Candlelight Vigil, which is sponsored by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (NLEOMF)
- Seminars sponsored by Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.)
- Parades in some places
Peace Officers Memorial Day
This day never changes, it is always on May 15 and held during National Police Week.
In 2018, The names of 360 U.S. law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty will be formally dedicated on the walls of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial during the 30th Annual Candlelight Vigil held on the National Mall between 4th and 7th streets in Washington, DC, on May 13, 2018.
U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will deliver special remarks and lead in candle lighting and reading the names of the fallen officers.
Each May 13, an estimated 20,000 people assemble for the Candlelight Vigil, a signature event of National Police Week. For the tenth year, the ceremony will be streamed live over the Internet so that everyone can witness this annual tribute to America’s law enforcement officers. Individuals interested in the free webcast can register online at www.UnitedByLight.org.
Learn more on how to show appreciate to law enforcement!
“The annual Candlelight Vigil allows participants and guests to be surrounded by the strength and support of the law enforcement community, as we honor the officers who sacrificed their lives for the protection of ours, by attending the ceremony in person or by viewing it on line, Americans can show their appreciation for the officers who serve and protect their communities.”Craig W. Floyd, Chief Executive Officer of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
Police, Law Enforcement Related Blog Posts
Below are some police and law enforcement blog posts. Be sure to check them ALL out! Thank you!
- Is Church Security Biblical?
- K9 Veterans Day
- National Day of Prayer for Law Enforcement Officers
- National Police Week & Peace Officers Memorial Day
- Police Lip Sync Challenge using Christian Music
- Police Officers Prayer
- Police Prayer of the Day
- Project Blue Light
- Survival Kit for Law Enforcement
- Thank A Police Officer Day
- Why law enforcement is essential for the community
CAUTION | DO NOT CROSS | CAUTION | DO NOT CROSS
First published May 15, 2019. Last updated or republished May 7, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- Do not change God’s message church signDo not change God’s message church sign - This church sign from Tusculum Baptist Church in Tusculum, TN. Do not change God’s message church sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Do not change God’s message church sign ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- Piedmont General Store Barn QuiltSteve Sews Stuff Piedmont General Store Barn Quilt - this barn quilt is in the Piedmont Community of Dandridge, TN and features Overall Bill on the quilt block. #OverallBill #BarnQuilt #PiedmontGeneralStore Piedmont General Store Barn Quilt appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison SumacPoison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac #PoisonIvy #PoisonOak #PoisonSumac Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A… Read more »
- Happy Father’s DayHappy Father's Day! I share about the brief history of this day. I even share some much read Father related blog post. #FathersDay #DadsAreAwesome #Father #Dad #Daddy Happy Father’s Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Happy Father’s Day ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Aluminum foil can be used over windows to help keep homes coolaluminum foil can be used over windows to help keep homes cool. When the temperatures rise method can help keep your home cooler. #aluminumfoil #blackoutwindows Aluminum foil can be used over windows to help keep homes cool appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Aluminum foil… Read more »
- Dad sayingsDad sayings - when certain situations arise … here are some common sayings that dads say. Dadisms #dadisms #dadsayings #dad Dad sayings appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Dad sayings ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner