National Oreo Cookie Day – We all know and most of us love that chocolate cookie sandwich with icing center … the Oreo Cookie! Today is a holiday for those yummy cookies.
National Oreo Cookie Day
These cookies are yummy themselves. We can even make cookies and cream treats with them too. A lot of people love to take the cookies apart and lick the center icing part.
This holiday is held annually on March 6. At the time of this posting, it is unsure who started this holiday. If I find out later, i will add it to this blog post.
Oreo sandwich cookies are great with milk. You can drink the milk with it and/or dip your Oreo cookie in the milk.National Oreo Cookie Day! #OreoCookieDay Click To Tweet
What is an Oreo Cookie?
An Oreo cookie is made up of two chocolate disks containing a sweet cream filling. Because of that, it is often called a cookie sandwich. It is said that the Oreo cookie is the best-selling cookie in the United States and is loved by millions of people.
Red Velvet Oreo Balls Recipe
You can even find generic versions as well.
The National Biscuit Company (today known as Nabisco) first developed and produced the “Oreo Biscuit” in 1912 at its Chelsea factory in New York City. Today, the block on which the factory was located is known as “Oreo Way”.Learn facts about the Oreo Cookie? #OrdeoCookies Click To Tweet
Facts about the Oreo Cookie
- The name “Oreo” was first trademarked on March 14, 1912.
- The first Oreo cookies in the United States sold for 25 cents a pound in clear glass topped novelty cans.
- In 1912, the Oreo Biscuit was renamed to “Oreo Sandwich”.
- In 1948, the Oreo Sandwich was renamed to “Oreo Creme Sandwich”.
- William A. Turnier developed the modern-day Oreo design in 1952 to include the Nabisco logo.
- Nabisco’s principal food scientist, Sam Procello, developed the modern Oreo cookie filling.
- Over 450 billion Oreos have been sold since their introduction.
- Oreos are sold in more than 100 countries worldwide.
- More women dunk this cookie than men.
- More men bite this cookie whole than women.
- Oreos are 71% cookie and 29% creme filling.
- Sold is over 100 counties.
- Some Countries the cookie varies what type.
- From beginning to end, it on average takes 59 minutes to produce a single Oreo cookie.
- Oreo Double Stuff cookies are only 1.68 times bigger than original Oreos.
- Oreo filling was once made using lard.
- Hydrox cookies were invented by a company called Sunshine in 1908 and it was basically the same as an Oreo except a little crunchier and less sweet.
Other names for Oreo Cookies
- “Oreo Biscuits”
- “Oreo Crème Sandwich”
- “Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie”
The origin of the word “Oreo” might be from the French word for gold (or) because the packaging in the beginning was gold, but no one knows for sure. From “or”, the French word for gold, which was the main color on early OREO cookie packages. o A combination of taking the “re” from ” crem e ” a n d placing it between the two “o”s in “chocolate” – making “o – re – o.” o From the Greek word “oreo, ” meaning hill or mountain. Initial OREO creations were shaped like a baseball mound.
Know any more facts about the Oreo cookie?
Feel free to share those in the comments below.
First published March 6, 2018. Last updated or republished March 3, 2020.