National Have A Coke Day – this day is for those who love the refreshing taste of a coke. Check out some brief facts and history of Coca-Cola. #NationalHaveACokeDay #CokeDay
National Have A Coke Day
This drink holiday is held each year on May 8. Coke is short for Coca-Cola, a carbonated soft drink. On March 27, 1944, Coca-Cola Company registered the trademark of Coca-Cola. Coke products can be found in over 200 countries around the world that consumes over 1.8 million servings of coke beverages a day. Roughly 12 ounces (360 mL) of soda is one serving.
Other than Sweet Tea, my other favorite beverage is Coca-Cola. I actually prefer bottled or canned Coke over Fountain.
It is unclear who started National Have A Coke Day.
Brief Facts About Coca-Cola
- In the 19th century, John Pemberton invented Coca-Cola, at Pemberton’s Eagle Drug and Chemical House in Columbus, GA.
- First Coca-Cola products contained cocaine — but only around 9 milligrams per glass.
- Originally marketed as a nerve tonic that “relieves exhaustion.”
- First Coca-Cola product was also alcoholic.
- Not found in North Korea or Cuba.
- Mexican’s drink more cokes than anyone in the world.
- Some countries use Cane Sugar instead of Corn Syrup for sweetener.
- Say the Coca-Cola acts like a spermicide, but is not recommend for us for that.
- The name Coca-Cola refers to two of its original ingredients: kola nuts and coca leaves.
- Coca-Cola commissioned American artist Norman Rockwell to illustrate Coca-Cola ads in an idyllic American setting. Of the six illustrations, Coca-Cola has three originals, while the other three are lost
Brief History of Coca-Cola
1886 – Frank Robinson, Pemberton’s bookkeeper, created the script flowering logo that is still used today.
1891 – The first bottling of Coco-Cola occurred at the Biedenharn Candy Company in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
1894 – The first outdoor wall advertisement that promoted the Coca-Cola drink was painted in Cartersville, Georgia
1903 – Cocaine removed from Coca-Cola products.
1914 – The longest running commercial Coca-Cola soda fountain anywhere was Atlanta’s Fleeman’s Pharmacy. The pharmacy closed its doors in 1995 after 81 years.
1932 – Coke invented the six-pack.
1944 – July 12, the one-billionth gallon of Coca-Cola syrup was manufactured by the Coca-Cola Company.
1955 – Cans of Coke first appeared.
1971 – The song “I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)” accompanied the coke commercial with the words “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” and “It’s the real thing”.
1980’s – An obscene image on one of the ice cubes in a Coca-Cola ad in South Australia. The company recalled and destroyed all of the posters, and the artist responsible for the image was fired and sued.
2015 – Coca Cola was the world’s third most valuable brand, after Apple and Google.
So when is National Have A Pepsi Day?
I couldn’t find anything on when that day is. If you know, let me know!
Below are some Coke related blog posts.
- 20 Coke Cola Uses
- Christian Coke Displays
- Coke Coffee Taste Test
- National Have a Coke Day
- Share A Coke With …
- Your Name On A Coke Bottle Church Sign
First published May 8, 2018. Last updated or republished May 8, 2019.