Maundy Thursday we don’t hear about this day too much, especially as a Baptist. Holy Week, that starts on Palm Sunday, week before the resurrection of Christ. Maundy Thursday falls the day before Good Friday and Easter. This is just a short write up on this day. #MaundyThursday #HolyThursday
Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday)
Maundy Thursday is the Thursday before Good Friday, the day that Jesus Christ was crucified on the Cross which commemorates the passion, death, and resurrection of Christ. It is party of Holy Week.
This day is traditionally celebrated by the Protestant churches like United Methodist, Lutheran Church, Orthodox Church and even the Catholic Church. However, some Baptist and Non-Denominational churches do this too.
Many believe this is the day that Jesus had the Lord’s Supper. (See Luke 22:7-23 & 1 Corinthians 11:17-34)
The Lord’s Supper (Communion) came around the time of the Passover. Jesus became that final approved Passover Lamb. So we didn’t have to offer the sacrifice anymore. God gave us the prefect lamb, His Son.
This day is also know as when Jesus washed the feet of His disciples. See John 13:1-7. The disciples didn’t feel worthy of Jesus washing their feet, but Jesus came to serve not be served. Jesus was humbling Himself.
Judas even betrayed Jesus on this day. Which later led to the arrest of Jesus.
This day is also know when Jesus prayed his Blood Sweat Prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. This is where Jesus was arrested and then brought before Pontius Pilate, who listed to the crowd and arrested Jesus and ordered the death of Jesus. If it wasn’t for the death of Jesus, we would not have been atoned for our sins. (This was part of prophecy).
Read the whole 22nd chapter of Luke. (Luke 22:1-71)
Holy Thursday is sometimes referred to as “Covenant Thursday,” “Maundy Thursday” or “Thursday of Mysteries.” Holy Thursday commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the apostles. According to Catholic News Agency, Holy Thursday might be one of the most important, complex and profound days of celebration in the Catholic Church. Holy Thursday celebrates the institution of the Eucharist as the true body and blood of Jesus Christ and the institution of the sacrament of the priesthood.
The etymology of the word Maundy
From Old French mandé, from Latin mandatum, in reference to the phrase mandatum do vobis (“A new commandment I give unto you”) (John 13:34).
Many names of Maundy Thursday
- Holy Thursday
- Covenant Thursday
- Great and Holy Thursday
- Sheer Thursday
- Shere Thursday
- Thursday of Mysteries
#MaundyThursday #HolyThursday #CovenantThursday
First Published April 12, 2017. Last updated or republished April 3, 2020.
Easter, Lent, Resurrection Related Post
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilly’s Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lillies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You’ve Been Egged Printable