Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight – The Christian season of Lent and the Easter holiday are laden with time-honored traditions that are both secular and religious. Many such traditions are universal, but people still find ways to celebrate their Christian faith in their own unique ways.
Each Good Friday, residents of Bermuda take to the beach to fly kites. The tradition began from a legend that says a local teacher was attempting to explain to Sunday school students about Jesus’ ascension to heaven. The students were not grasping the concept, so the teacher purportedly launched a kite in the shape of a cross into the air to explain the matter. The students followed the teacher to a hilltop, set the kite flying, and then the teacher cut the string and the students watched it sail. In Bermuda, kite-flying remains a much-anticipated Good Friday tradition.
Good Friday can be a solemn day, but it also is a day of joy in which the faithful give thanks for Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice for his people. Launching beautiful kites into the air toward heaven can transform the sky into an awe-inspiring mosaic of shapes and colors. Traditional Bermudian kites are crafted from colorful tissue paper and white pine wood, with rattan or bamboo used as the headstick bender. Great care and artistry is put into the crafting of these kites. Those who are short on time purchase pre-made kites for convenience.
The kite-flying extravaganza in Bermuda is followed by a meal of codfish cakes and hot cross buns.
Families looking for a special way to honor Christ during Lent may want to incorporate this vivid tradition of kite-flying into their celebrations.
Reminds me of Mary Poppin’s
Oh, oh, oh!Let’s Go Fly A Kite – Mary Poppin’s
Let’s go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!
Let’s go fly a kite and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let’s go fly a kite!
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Colors of Easter
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Emoji Easter Story Printable
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- He is Risen Display
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Stitching Easter delights with Sewing
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- University of Tennessee Rock painted with an Easter Message, The
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Article compliments of MetroCreative. TF204826