Homemade Dill Pickles – a recipe to make your own dill pickles using spices, vinegar and cucumbers. #DillPickles #HomemadeDillPickles
Homemade Dill Pickles
This weeks Funday Sunday Recipe is one that I recently made for the first time … Dill Pickles!
Waiting the three weeks has sucked. I have been wanting to get into them so bad. I love Dill Pickles. My favorite store bought is Vlasic. My least favorite is Mt. Olive. I also like the brine (pickle juice) from the Vlasic Dill Pickles too.
- 2 tsp. Dill Seed
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Dill Weed
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seed
Other Ingredients needed
- 2 lbs. pickling cucumbers (4-5 cucumbers – Medium size)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Salt (best to use pickling salt)
- 2 Quart (32 Oz. Jars) or 4 Pint (16 oz) jars with lids and bands
- Sauce Pan
- CUT ends off cucumbers. Cut into spears (or slices). Place cucumbers spears or slices into large glass bowl. Set aside.
- MIX water, vinegar, spices and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- PACK cucumbers in jars.
- POUR hot liquid over cucumbers in jars.
- COOL to room temperature.
- PLACE lids and bands on jars.
- LABEL jars with date you processed, date ready and use by. (You can use a circle paper with the lid or a label on the side)
- ALLOW 3 Weeks before eating
Must be consumed with in 3 months.
You can buy the spices separately or in a mix packet. I used the McCormick’s Dill Pickle Mix, it already had the dry spice ingredients in a kit, but the salt. (Shown below). I found a kit in date at a discount store for $1.50, other wise they are about $3 in retail stores.
My three week wait is over! These pickles and brime taste good. I think it may need more dill and/or garlic for my taste. But they are very good. I’m looking forward eating more of these. Plus, making more batches. Now to buy more seasoning. I do believe these taste better than store bought.
National Pickle Day is held annually on November 14.
Check out The Christmas Pickle!
A Christian Blogger that enjoys blogging about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Family, Cats, Odd Holidays and much more. I have been blogging since 2004, however, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. I enjoy listening to Christian Music. I am married with 1 daughter, 2 step-sons and a step daughter.