Halloween Alternatives you could do instead along with facts on Halloween & Bible verses that pertain to not dealing or imitate darkness, evil, spirits. Halloween is a mysterious time, born of various festivals, rituals, and symbolism. Over several centuries, the celebration has evolved into a holiday enjoyed by millions, each in its own different ways. Even the Catholic church tried to compete and makeup things to try to bring what they believed would be Christian roots into it. #Halloween #HalloweenAlternatives
Basic Facts about Halloween
- All Hallows Evening or All Hallow’s Eve.
- Celebrated October 31
- Pegan roots (That means that they did not worship Jesus or God the Father, but worshiped many other spirits.)
- Occurs the Day before All Saints Day (All Hallow’s Day) – Nov. 1 (also the Celtic New Year – End of the Harvest)
- Filled with Fork Lore (stories)
- Filled with Superstitions
- Ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced “sow-in”)
- Halloween came to America in the 1840’s by Irish immigrants fleeing their country’s potato famine
- Represents Darkness, darkness is evil
- Considered by Satanists as one of their most important days of the year
- It is the most deadly night of the year, Satanism sacrifice people this night of the year.
- Even the legend of the Jack-O-‘Lantern has demonic beliefs in it.
Lesser-known information about Halloween
Lesser-known information about Halloween. Halloween is a day of costumes, hijinks and an often unhealthy helping of sugary sweets. Many celebrants know that Halloween evolved from ancient Celtic festivals, such as Samhain, which marked the end of the harvest season and the dawn of winter. Celts were no longer spending long days in the pastures, and so they gathered in their homes to tell stories and wait out the winter. When Christianity spread, Halloween became intertwined with a feast day dedicated to the saints and deceased loved ones. “All Hallows Even,” eventually got shortened to “Hallowe’en,” and then Halloween.
- The first jack-o-lanterns were made from turnips and beets. Pumpkins were used after Halloween was brought to North America.
- The word “witch” is thought to come from the Olde English word “wicce,” meaning “wise woman.” Witches once were held in high regard.
- Pumpkins actually are a fruit, a type of squash that is a member of the gourd family. Its cousins include cucumbers, melons, and other squashes.
- Trick-or-treating may have originated with a European custom called “souling.” On All Soul’s Day, early Christians would go door-to-door begging for “soul cakes,” which were square pieces of bread with currants. The more cakes a person received, the more prayers he or she would promise to the dead relatives of the cake donors.
- Witches may have rubbed a sacred ointment made with a hallucinogenic herb onto their skin. This gave them a feeling of flying, and if they had been fasting, they felt even giddier. Many witches rode on horseback, but those who were poor traveled on foot and carried a broom to launch themselves over streams.
More Lesser-known information about Halloween
- One-quarter of all the candy sold each year is purchased around Halloween. Halloween candy sales in the United States average about $2 billion annually.
- Some people still celebrate the ancient Celtic customs of Samhain. Many followers of various pagan religions, such as the Druids and Wiccans, observe this day as a religious festival and a memorial day for their deceased friends. It also is a night to practice various forms of divination.
- The owl is a popular Halloween symbol. In Medieval Europe, owls were thought to be witches.
- The first-known mention of trick-or-treating, found in print in 1927 in Blackie, Alberta, Canada.
- Ireland is believed by many to be the birthplace of Halloween.
- Both Salem, Massachusetts, and Anoka, Minnesota, are the self-proclaimed Halloween capitals of the world.
- Pumpkins are now carved and displayed as Halloween decorations. Orange is a color of strength and symbolic of the harvest. The largest pumpkin ever grown was more than 1,600 pounds. It was grown by Joe Jutras of North Scituate, RI.
A Book to Read
A book to check out for kids, It’s Not About You, Mr. Pumpkin by Soraya Diase Coffeelt. It is a very well written children’s book about the truth of Halloween. In this book, it tells us that it’s not about the pumpkin and tells us a bit of how Halloween came to be. This book is good about pointing out about celebrating Jesus instead of Halloween too.
Below is a list of Halloween Alternatives. Things you could do instead of celebrating or partaking in Halloween. If you know what I can add, feel free to share in the comments below.
- Shouldn’t cancel church services because of Halloween that is an invite for the Devil
- Hold Bible Studies
- Hold Praise and Prayer Meetings
- Share the Gospel of Jesus this night
- Give out Gospel Tracts and/or Gospel of John’s along with your candy
- Go to people’s houses that are giving out candy and hand them a Gospel Tract or Gospel of John’s. (Kind of a Reverse Trick or Treat)
- Go to Trunks or Treats at Churches instead of houses, much safer.
- Dress as Biblical themes instead
- Do not dress up as Witches, Ghost, Goblins, Zombies, Wizards, Warlocks, Evil Spirits, Etc.
- Use this night as out reach for your church
- Hold Prayer Retreats and Pray all night long
- Have a food drive to either collect food or give out food
- Have a clothing drive to either collect clothes or give out clothes
- Pack Operation Christmas Child Boxes
- Read the Book It’s Not About You, Mr. Pumpkin
- Celebrate Reformation Day
Participating in Halloween may seem fun. But, there is nothing fun about playing on Satan’s playground. It does not matter how many other people are playing there with you. We should be worshiping the Lord our God and sharing his faith, not inviting the devil to have his fun.
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee. 13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
31 Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God.
14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you; 15 (For the Lord thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the Lord thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.
9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Both Matthew & Luke
You cannot serve two masters, you will either hate one or love the other. You cannot be slaves to both.
Reverse Trick or Treat
I think the reverse trick or treat (Reverse Trunk or treats) might be interesting to do. Just go to peoples homes giving out candy and hand them a gospel track or a Gospel of John. Maybe both! Put a gospel tract inside of the gospel of John! This would be a great witnessing method perhaps and makes a great addition to the Halloween Alternatives. I am sure not many people are doing the reserve method!
Bible Times Dressed up
Did you know in the Bible times if you even dressed up like a witch they stoned to death. Not to mention, even those practicing sorcery or even fortune-telling could face being stones too. Wee-gee boards too. All of these are of the devil too! If you found associated or done business with these type of people they cut you off from your people as well. The Bible tells us King Saul took advice from a witch and died. (See 1 Chronicles 10:13)
Shouldn’t Imitate or Claim
We shouldn’t imitate or claim that we are some type of evil force. Even jokingly or for play. As Christians we should clearly stay away from Halloween practices. We are to live in the world, but not be of the world. As Christians we should stand out in the world by the way we handle Halloween and perhaps do something instead … Halloween Alternatives as shown above.
Even Watching Shows or Movies
Even shows like Harry Potter, BeWitched, Sabrina the Teenaged Witch, Twilight, etc. expose kids to the cult of witchcraft and sorcery, which is an abomination to God. Kids will see that stuff and wish they could actually do that. Taking their eye of God. Use caution little eyes what we see. Plus be careful little ears what we hear too. What comes in us often will come out too.
Shine the Light!
We are to shine light of Christ in the world. We are not to like, be like or imitate darkness. Darkness is sin. Let us not be of the World, but be set apart. Let’s show the world the love of God. Let us show our light, the light of Jesus in this dark and dying world.
Do you know of any other Halloween Alternatives I can list on this list?
If so, please comment it in the comments below.
- Holy Bible
- Sermon Notes, Pastor Bob, Piedmont Baptist Church, October 31, 2012.
- Hoodview Church of God Newsletter
- Energized By Faith, Bible Study 8
- Hem of His Garment Bible Study
- Christian Connections
- 700 Club
- Basic Christian Resource
- The Thought & Expression Company and Random History (Website)
- The Halloween Handbook (Citadel Press) by Ed Morrow
First published October 30, 2013. Last Republished/Updated October 8, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
- The Great Pumpkin AnalogyLinus & the The Great Pumpkin, from It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, is a good analogy to use when we talk about having faith Linus shows great faith. We need to have similar faith but our faith needs to be in Christ! #GreatPumpkin #faith #Linus #CharlieBrown The Great Pumpkin… Read more »
- 4 Choices when confronting A mountain4 Choices when confronting A mountain - When we are confronted with a mountain in front of us we have four choices. #mountain 4 Choices when confronting A mountain appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 4 Choices when confronting A mountain ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- Halloween AlternativesHalloween alternatives: Facts on Halloween & Bible verses that pertain to not dealing or imitate darkness, evil, spirits. Participating in Halloween may seem fun. But, there is nothing fun about playing on Satan’s playground. It does not matter how many other people are playing there with you. We should be… Read more »
- October the 8th Month?October the 8th Month? What are you talking about? August is the 8th month Steve! Find out why October is no longer the 8th month. #October #August #8thMonth #10MonthCalendar #12MonthCalendar October the 8th Month? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at October the 8th Month? ©2004-2021… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly