Green rivers are St. Patrick’s Day traditions – It is one thing to wear green or paint a green shamrock on your cheek, but dyeing an entire river green is an immense and awe-inspiring homage to St. Patrick’s Day.
Green rivers are St. Patrick’s Day traditions
Even though the first color associated with St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was blue, eventually green became the hue of choice to commemorate his work and the holiday established in his honor. Because Ireland is dominated by green, rolling hills, the country is affectionately known as the Emerald Isle. And green clothing and decorations have become the standard each March during St. Patrick’s Day festivities.
Since 1962, the vast undertaking of dyeing a river a bright shade of green has been a St. Patrick’s Day tradition in Chicago. Tom Rowan, a 76-year-old retired police officer, handles the task, and his methods are top secret. The Chicago River has been transformed into a verdigris waterway every year, with the exception of 2020, when COVID-19 halted holiday plans. However, someone other than Rowan managed to dye portions of the river green in 2020.
While the Chicago River is the most prominent green river on St. Patrick’s Day, others currently emulate the same effects or have done so in the past. The Irish Marching Society decided to bring the tradition to Rockford, Ill., and dye Rock River last year. San Antonio, TX; Savannah, GA; Indianapolis, IN; Charlotte, NC; Tampa, FL; and Washington, D.C. all have dyed various rivers green. In 2020, city officials in Dublin, Ireland, intended to dye the River Liffey green as well.
Nontoxic dyes and environmentally safe products are used to produce the green hues. Some stick around for a few hours, while others may last for days until they dissipate. While they last, green rivers can produce dramatic effects that are fun to behold.
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF213768
St. Patrick’s Day Blog Posts
- All Things Green
- All Things Orange
- A-Z of St. Patrick’s Day
- Celtic Cross
- Don’t mistake a shamrock for any old clover
- Irish Flag
- Meaning behind popular St. Patrick’s Day symbols
- Meaning behind the shamrock
- Millions of People Claim Irish ancestry
- Origins of the leprechaun myth
- Prayer of St. Patrick
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Top 5 Countries with Irish populations
- Unique, mysterious and lesser-known facts about Ireland
- Why does the world celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- 10 Digit Dialing10 Digit Dialing a new requirement for many places to dial the full 10 digit phone number fir all local calls. 10 Digit Dialing appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 10 Digit Dialing ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the countryLego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country - Yes! Those old unused lego bricks can get a new home! #Lego #LegoReplay #LegoMaster #LegoBrick Lego Replay to give Lego bricks and donate them to children’s non-profits across the country appeared first on Courageous… Read more »
- Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your ProblemVanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem. Only one person can! Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Vanilla Ice Can’t Solve Your Problem ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about… Read more »
- ForgivenessForgiveness can be easier said than done. Do you easily forgive others when they do wrong to you? Have you ever had anyone not forgive you and you wished they did? What does it mean to forgive? #forgiveness #BGBG2 Forgiveness appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- The Christian being like a pumpkin analogyAn Analogy of how being a Christian is like a pumpkin, explains being a christian in the form of being a pumpkin being carved into a jack-o-lantern. #pumpkin The Christian being like a pumpkin analogy appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at The Christian being like… Read more »
- Teal Pumpkin Project – Some Ideas for Non-Food TreatsThe Teal Pumpkin Project - Teal is the new Orange! - Help save God's children by not giving them allergen containing treats, but other gifts instead. Plus raising awareness of food allergies during Trick or Treats or Trunk or Treats. Did you know that 1 in 13 children have a… Read more »
- The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil RootsJack o' lanterns ... A fall decoration that you carve and put a light inside it. Plus, I share about The legend of jack-o'-lanterns and the evil dark side of these fall decorations you see around Halloween time. #jackolanterns The Legend of Jack o’ Lanterns and Their Evil Roots appeared… Read more »
- Reformation DayOctober 31 is also Reformation Day, Martin Luther wrote The 95 Thesis on this day 500 years ago and nailed it to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in Germany. I share about Reformation Day and even the full length movie of I Will Not Recant. #ReformationDay #95Thesis #MartinLuther #IWillNotRecant… Read more »
- Judgement HouseJudgement House changing lives w/walk-through drama presentation of the gospel. See what it would be like to accept or reject Jesus w/portrayals of heaven & hell. #JudgementHouse Judgement House appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Judgement House ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Former Satanist Warns About the Dangers of HalloweenFormer Satanist Warns About the Dangers of Halloween. John Ramirez, who used to be a high-ranking priest within the Satanic Temple before miraculously having his heart opened to the Gospel, shares the story of his personal involvement with satanism and celebrating Halloween in order to warn parents of its dangers.… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner
- Linking & Sharing
- About Steve Patterson
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Guest Bloggers
- Submit Christian News
- Raptured Blog Post
- Media Kit
- Blog Awards Won
- PR Friendly