Facts about American sign language – American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. #ASL #SignLanguage #AmericanSignLanguage
Facts About American Sign Language
American Sign Language, or ASL, has helped millions of North Americans who are deaf or have family members who are deaf communicate with their loved ones and colleagues. Though ASL may be most widely embraced in families that include someone who is deaf or hard of hearing, anyone can benefit from learning this unique and valuable means of communicating.
What is ASL?
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), ASL is its own unique language that employs movements of both the hands and face. Though ASL has the same linguistic properties as spoken languages, its grammar differs from English.
Is sign language the same everywhere?
While it’s known as “American Sign Language,” ASL is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf and hard of hearing and is one of two official sign languages in Canada. In Mexico, where the primary spoken language is Spanish and not English, the deaf and hard of hearing primarily communicate using Lenguaje de Signos Mexicano, or LSM.
Though people in the United States and Canada communicate using ASL, the NIDCD notes that there is no universal sign language. In fact, British Sign Language, or BSL, is used across the pond in England, and people who know ASL may not be able to understand BSL, or vice versa.
The origins of ASL
The NIDCD notes that the exact origins of ASL are not clear, though some suggest it may trace its roots back hundreds of years. Those theories trace ASL to Langue des Signes Française (French Sign Language), or LSF. Modern ASL indeed includes some elements of LSF, which was used in France more than 200 years ago.
ASL and spoken languages
ASL is its own language that is distinct from English. The NIDCD notes that ASL features all the fundamental components of spoken languages, including rules governing pronunciation, word formation and word order. Some may even be surprised to learn that, like spoken languages such as English, ASL even has regional accents and dialects. The rhythm of signing, pronunciation, slang, and signs in ASL may differ depending on where the person signing is from.
ASL is vital to helping people who are deaf or hard of hearing communicate with their families. This unique language boasts a rich and interesting history.
What are some other Facts About American Sign Language?
If ou know any facts about sign language not mentioned in this post, feel free to share about it in the comments below. Maybe even share your experience in sign language. (Such as learning it and communicating with it).
Did you know they made The Jesus Film in Sign Language?
Learn World Deaf Day
Article Compliments of MetroCreative. TF213798
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- Take home a soldierPlease take home a soldier and place it somewhere that will remind you to pray for our men and women serving our country! #TakeHomeASoldier Take home a soldier appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Take home a soldier ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of… Read more »
- God is like bleach He removes stains no one else canGod is like bleach He removes stains no one else can - He washes us white as snow. #bgbg2 God is like bleach He removes stains no one else can appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at God is like bleach He removes stains no one… Read more »
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park requiring face masks againSteve Sews Stuff Great Smoky Mountain National Park requiring face masks again - Consistent with CDC guidance regarding areas of substantial or high transmission, visitors to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask inside all park buildings. Great Smoky Mountain National Park… Read more »
- 46 Random Bible Verses46 Random Bible Verses - this blog post shares 46 random Bible verses. #bibleverses #bgbg2 46 Random Bible Verses appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 46 Random Bible Verses ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A Christian… Read more »
- Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 - I share some fun facts and famous birthdays for the 6th of August. #August6 Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 ©2004-2022 by Steve… Read more »
- More people burning in hell that have more of a heart for evangelizing
- Remove background in Adobe Photoshop Using Quick Action
- August – Did You Know?August, the month that is named in honor of Augustus Caesar and previously went by the name "Sextilis." #August August – Did You Know? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at August – Did You Know? ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- New Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky floodingNew Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky flooding - with all the recent rain and flooding in Kentucky, a New Testament Bible was found in the mud. New Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky flooding appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at New Testament… Read more »
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable – Jelly Bean Gospel – PrintableJelly Bean Prayer - Jelly Bean Gospel a way to use the colors of jelly beans to share the gospel. Includes free printable version! National Jelly Bean Day. #JellyBeanPrayer #JellyBeanGospel #JellyBeanDay #JellyBeans #JellyBean #Easter #prayer Jelly Bean Prayer Printable – Jelly Bean Gospel – Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner