Easter sweet treats make Easter special – From chocolates to marshmallows to caramel eggs to jelly beans, Easter is chockful of candy. And for those who think Easter is only child’s play, guess again.
Easter Sweet Treats Make Easter Special
Americans spend up to $2 billion on Easter candy each year, according to Sweet Services, an online candy retailer. The National Confectioner’s Association says people in the United States consume nearly seven billion pounds of candy during the year, and Easter is the second-most popular holiday (behind Halloween) for indulging a sweet tooth.
Faith comes first for many Easter celebrants. But there’s nothing wrong with enjoying some candy come Easter Sunday. Here’s a look at the history behind some of the sweets the Easter Bunny might leave in your basket this year.
The first chocolate eggs were made in Europe in the early 19th century. Since then, they have become one of the most popular and recognizable treats associated with Easter. The chocolate egg is predated by edible Easter eggs made from sugar and pastry first designed in Germany. According to the “Guinness Book of World Records,” the largest chocolate Easter egg ever made debuted in 2011. It was just over 34 feet high and weighed nearly 16,000 lbs. Learn more about Easter Eggs.
The Easter Bunny also is a German incarnation. The seasonal bunny was introduced to America in the 18th century by German immigrants who believed in the “Osterhase,” an egg-laying hare they believed was a sign of new life and prosperity. Germans also introduced the first edible chocolate bunnies. The NCA says 76 percent of people eat the ears on chocolate bunnies first. Learn more about the Easter Bunny.
People aren’t quite sure where the jelly bean originated, but some think it was based on a soft, chewy Middle Eastern sweet called Turkish delight and the hard candy shell of Jordan almonds. William Shraft, a Boston-based confectioner, may have coined the phrase “jelly bean” when he urged people to send these sweets to Union soldiers fighting in the Civil War. Check out the Jelly Bean Prayer!
Peeps are owned and made by Just Born Inc., a Pennsylvania-based company started by Russian immigrants when they acquired the Rodda Candy Company in 1953. Just Born figured out a way to automate and streamline the process of making Peeps, and today they can produce 5.5 million per day.
Easter is a day filled with fun and lots of sweetness. Candy is a big part of the celebration.
Check out the Easter Snack Mix Printable!
Easter, Lent, Resurrection Related Post
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Dogwood Tree
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilly’s Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lillies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Compliments of Metro Creative. TF194851 First published April 19, 2019. Last update or republished April 7, 2020.