Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients – Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients
Coloring Easter eggs is a time-honored tradition passed down from generation to generation. Easter eggs symbolize rebirth, which fits in well with both religious and seasonal celebrations.
While there are many kits on the market that enable people to easily color eggs, there also are plenty of all-natural foodstuffs, like fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices, that can get the job done just as effectively. For those who plan to eat the eggs afterward, natural dyes may be preferable to dyes from kits.
Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Begin with firm, hard-boiled eggs. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Then use a large spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and boil for just about 12 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl with ice cold water and let them cool. Allow the eggs to cool completely before coloring.
Lay out newspaper or an old tablecloth to soak up any spills. Spills are inevitable, so don’t let them spoil the fun. In addition, empty egg cartons make ideal drying racks, so do not discard them.
Below are ways to dye eggs with all-natural ingredients …
Give chicken eggs a beautiful robin egg shade with red cabbage. Simply shred one cup of red cabbage into a pot. Bring the cabbage and roughly 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let the broth cool. Strain out the cabbage and stir in 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar. Let the eggs sit in the dye for the desired duration to achieve light to dark blue eggs.
Use beets to create pink and red eggs. Take 1 or 2 beets and roughly chop them. Combine with 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture and allow to cool. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Use the solution for red and pink eggs.
Cast a sunny glow on eggs with a common household spice and some tasty carrots. Turmeric is touted for its anti-inflammatory benefits, but it also makes a great dye. Bring 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 3 to 4 sliced carrots, 1 tablespoon salt, and 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool, strain and stir in 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar. Use the dye for a lovely yellow shade.
Turn to all natural items for safe and easily dyed Easter eggs.
Others Colors with Natural Items?
I am not sure how, but here are some other natural items that you can use to color hard boiled eggs.
- Red Wine
- Red Cabbage
Feel free to share your tips to color eggs naturally in the comments below.
Find out the truth about Easter Eggs!
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Face Mask
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Snoopy & Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Snoopy Easter Face Mask
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Article compliments of Metro Creative. TF194853 & TF194843 First published March 31, 2019. Last update or republished March 23, 2021.
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- The Hand of GodThe Hand of God - With COIVD-19 it changed having guest or visitors for those needing surgeries or hospitalization. That is when some medical staff got creative using hot water and disposable gloves. #HandofGod #Brazil The Hand of God appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at… Read more »
- The Sunflower The Flower of the Year and Plant of the Year for 2021The Sunflower The Flower of the Year and Plant of the Year for 2021 - The Sunflower is also known as the Prayer Plant. #Sunflower #PrayerPlant The Sunflower The Flower of the Year and Plant of the Year for 2021 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article… Read more »
- Nearly 80 percent of teachers, school staff, and childcare workers receive at least one shot of COVID-19 vaccineSteveZ MaskZ Nearly 80 percent of Pre-K-12 teachers, school staff, and childcare workers received at least their first shot of COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March, according to the CDC’s latest estimates and survey data. Nearly 80 percent of teachers, school staff, and childcare workers receive at least one… Read more »
- The 6 Panel Door: The Cross & The BibleThe 6 panel door is said to represents two Christian symbols. The Cross & an Open Bible. I share if this is true or not about these Cross & Bible Doors / Christian Doors. The 6 Panel Door: The Cross & The Bible appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read… Read more »
- Project LinusProject Linus - When you think of a blanket, you might think of Linus from the Peanuts Snoopy cartoon. He always is seen with his security blanket. This is where you can help give children in hospitals a security blanket. #ProjectLinus #Linus Project Linus appeared first on Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- Project LinusSteveZ MaskZ Project Linus - When you think of a blanket, you might think of Linus from the Peanuts Snoopy cartoon. He always is seen with his security blanket. This is where you can help give children in hospitals have a security blanket. #ProjectLinus #Linus Project Linus appeared first on… Read more »
- National Former Prisoner of War Recognition DayNational Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day - A day to celebrate and honor former Prisoner of War men and women. National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson… Read more »
- CDC and NIH bring COVID-19 self-testing to residents in two localesSteveZ MaskZ CDC and NIH bring COVID-19 self-testing to residents in two locales - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), has launched an innovative community health initiative called “Say Yes! COVID Test” starting in Pitt County, North Carolina, and… Read more »
- CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective Benefits of the COVID-19 VaccinesSteveZ MaskZ CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective Benefits of the COVID-19 Vaccines - A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers. #COVID19Vaccine CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective… Read more »
- One Million People Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 in TennesseeSteveZ MaskZ One Million People Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 in Tennessee - Tennessee has reached a vaccination landmark of one million Tennesseans being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Approximately 22 percent have received at least one dose. One Million People Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 in Tennessee appeared first on SteveZ MaskZ. Read more »
- CDC Issues Updated Guidance on Travel for Fully Vaccinated PeopleSteveZ MaskZ CDC Issues Updated Guidance on Travel for Fully Vaccinated People - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its travel guidance for fully vaccinated people to reflect the latest evidence and science. CDC Issues Updated Guidance on Travel for Fully Vaccinated People appeared first on SteveZ… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!