Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients – Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients
Coloring Easter eggs is a time-honored tradition passed down from generation to generation. Easter eggs symbolize rebirth, which fits in well with both religious and seasonal celebrations.
While there are many kits on the market that enable people to easily color eggs, there also are plenty of all-natural foodstuffs, like fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices, that can get the job done just as effectively. For those who plan to eat the eggs afterward, natural dyes may be preferable to dyes from kits.
Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Begin with firm, hard-boiled eggs. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Then use a large spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and boil for just about 12 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl with ice cold water and let them cool. Allow the eggs to cool completely before coloring.
Lay out newspaper or an old tablecloth to soak up any spills. Spills are inevitable, so don’t let them spoil the fun. In addition, empty egg cartons make ideal drying racks, so do not discard them.
Below are ways to dye eggs with all-natural ingredients …
Give chicken eggs a beautiful robin egg shade with red cabbage. Simply shred one cup of red cabbage into a pot. Bring the cabbage and roughly 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let the broth cool. Strain out the cabbage and stir in 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar. Let the eggs sit in the dye for the desired duration to achieve light to dark blue eggs.
Use beets to create pink and red eggs. Take 1 or 2 beets and roughly chop them. Combine with 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture and allow to cool. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Use the solution for red and pink eggs.
Cast a sunny glow on eggs with a common household spice and some tasty carrots. Turmeric is touted for its anti-inflammatory benefits, but it also makes a great dye. Bring 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 3 to 4 sliced carrots, 1 tablespoon salt, and 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool, strain and stir in 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar. Use the dye for a lovely yellow shade.
Turn to all natural items for safe and easily dyed Easter eggs.
Others Colors with Natural Items?
I am not sure how, but here are some other natural items that you can use to color hard boiled eggs.
- Red Wine
- Red Cabbage
Feel free to share your tips to color eggs naturally in the comments below.
Find out the truth about Easter Eggs!
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Emoji Easter Story Printable
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- He is Risen Display
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- University of Tennessee Rock painted with an Easter Message, The
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Easter list last updated April 19, 2022.
Article compliments of Metro Creative. TF194853 & TF194843 First published March 31, 2019. Last update or republished March 23, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- GargoylesGargoyles - Those evil looking creatures you usually see on buildings that was said to keep evil spirits away also served another purpose. #Gargoyles Gargoyles appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Gargoyles ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Who do you need to witness to?Who do you need to witness to? Simple answer is … EVERYONE! Who do you need to witness to? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Who do you need to witness to? ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- No Grocery Tax in Tennessee this AugustNo Grocery Tax in Tennessee this August - Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced his proposal for a 30-day suspension of state and local grocery sales tax to provide direct financial relief to Tennesseans amid surging inflation nationwide. No Grocery Tax in Tennessee this August appeared first on Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- World NF Awareness Day & Month
- Red Nose Day is BackRed Nose Day is back May 26, helping raise life-changing funds to ensure a healthy future for all children. #RedNoseDay #NosesOn Red Nose Day is Back appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Red Nose Day is Back ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Friends AcronymFriends Acronym - Check out this acronym for the word friends. #Friends Friends Acronym appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Friends Acronym ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus… Read more »
- FREE VBS PrintablesFREE VBS Printables - These are great for all Vaction Bible School needs, may it be Virtual VBS, At-Home VBS, VBS in a box, and normally in-person physical VBS, here are some FREE VBS Printables to use for your Vacation Bible School. #VBSPrintables #VBS FREE VBS Printables appeared first on… Read more »
- Graduation: Cap and GownGraduation: Cap and Gown - Graduation ceremonies are steeped in tradition, the most noticeable of which may be the caps and gowns worn by students on hand to receive their degrees. Graduation: Cap and Gown appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Graduation: Cap and Gown… Read more »
- A-Z of Mother’s DayA-Z of Mother’s Day - Here is a list from A to Z about Moms and/or Mother's Day. #MothersDay A-Z of Mother’s Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A-Z of Mother’s Day ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner