Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients – Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Dye eggs with all-natural ingredients
Coloring Easter eggs is a time-honored tradition passed down from generation to generation. Easter eggs symbolize rebirth, which fits in well with both religious and seasonal celebrations.
While there are many kits on the market that enable people to easily color eggs, there also are plenty of all-natural foodstuffs, like fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices, that can get the job done just as effectively. For those who plan to eat the eggs afterward, natural dyes may be preferable to dyes from kits.
Below are a few tried and true methods for producing brilliantly hued eggs with items from the kitchen, courtesy of The Spruce and Martha Stewart.
Begin with firm, hard-boiled eggs. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Then use a large spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and boil for just about 12 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl with ice cold water and let them cool. Allow the eggs to cool completely before coloring.
Lay out newspaper or an old tablecloth to soak up any spills. Spills are inevitable, so don’t let them spoil the fun. In addition, empty egg cartons make ideal drying racks, so do not discard them.
Below are ways to dye eggs with all-natural ingredients …
Give chicken eggs a beautiful robin egg shade with red cabbage. Simply shred one cup of red cabbage into a pot. Bring the cabbage and roughly 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let the broth cool. Strain out the cabbage and stir in 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar. Let the eggs sit in the dye for the desired duration to achieve light to dark blue eggs.
Use beets to create pink and red eggs. Take 1 or 2 beets and roughly chop them. Combine with 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture and allow to cool. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Use the solution for red and pink eggs.
Cast a sunny glow on eggs with a common household spice and some tasty carrots. Turmeric is touted for its anti-inflammatory benefits, but it also makes a great dye. Bring 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 3 to 4 sliced carrots, 1 tablespoon salt, and 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool, strain and stir in 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar. Use the dye for a lovely yellow shade.
Turn to all natural items for safe and easily dyed Easter eggs.
Others Colors with Natural Items?
I am not sure how, but here are some other natural items that you can use to color hard boiled eggs.
- Red Wine
- Red Cabbage
Feel free to share your tips to color eggs naturally in the comments below.
Find out the truth about Easter Eggs!
Easter Blog Posts
Below is a list of blog posts that relate to Easter. Be sure to check them all out!
- 1 Cross, 3 Nails, 4 Given Church Sign
- 8 Things Jesus Accomplished on the Cross
- A-Z of Easter, The
- Amber Alert: Jesus Christ is Missing
- Arise My Love by Newsong
- Ash Wednesday, Day of Ashes
- Body of Christ
- Breakfast Pizza
- Broken Egg
- CEO Christians Church Sign
- Cracking the Tradition of Hiding Easter Eggs
- Create and Hide Unbreakable Easter Eggs
- Cross Acronym
- Cross of Jesus
- Cross Tree
- Dogwood Tree
- Drive-Thru Easter Egg Hunt
- Dye Eggs with All Natural Ingredients
- Easter celebrations in the era of social distancing
- Easter Egg Trunk Hunt
- Easter Finger Puzzle Printable
- Easter is Canceled
- Easter Lilies Can Kill A Cat?
- Easter Monday
- Easter Story Snack Mix Printable
- Easter Sweet Treats Makes Easter Special
- Easter Symbols
- Easter Trees
- Easter Word Search Printable
- Egg Rolling
- Empty Egg
- Free Easter Printables
- Good Friday
- Happy Easter “Resurrection Day”
- Hiding Easter Eggs
- History of Easter Bonnets
- Holy Monday
- Holy Saturday
- Holy Thursday
- Holy Tuesday
- Holy Wednesday
- Hot Cross Buns
- If Jesus Had An Obituary
- Importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- It’s Not About the Bunny Church Sign
- Jelly Bean Face Mask
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable
- Jesus Shows His Scars
- Lazarus Saturday
- Legend of the Donkey’s Cross
- Legend of the Sand Dollar Printable
- Legend of the Three Trees
- Let kites soar: A Lenten tradition takes flight
- Life Savers
- Make Easter Eggs Last
- Maundy Thursday
- Meaning Behind Easter Lilies
- No Bones About It – Jesus Is Alive!
- Palm Sunday
- Resurrection Bracelet
- Resurrection Rolls
- Searching for Christ
- Shrove Tuesday
- Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus
- Snoopy & Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Snoopy Easter Face Mask
- Son of God Movie Review
- Spy Wednesday
- Stay-At-Home Spring Printables for Kids
- Sweating Blood Prayer
- That’s My King Dr. S.M. Lockridge
- Trail to the Empty Tomb
- Truth About Easter Bunny & Easter Eggs
- That Tomb Is Still Empty, Easter Story Told by Two Kids
- Unique Easter Traditions from Around the Globe
- What if the Resurrection Happened Today
- What’s So Good About Good Friday?
- Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?
- Woodstock Easter Face Mask
- Words of Forgiveness by Saving Darkness
- You, Sin, Christ – A Simple Illustration
- You’ve Been Egged Printable
Article compliments of Metro Creative. TF194853 & TF194843 First published March 31, 2019. Last update or republished March 23, 2021.
by click on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
Recent Feed of All Blogs
- A-Z of BirthdaysA-Z of Birthdays - Here is a list of things from A to Z about birthdays. #Birthday #Birthdays A-Z of Birthdays appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at A-Z of Birthdays ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian… Read more »
- Light of the WorldLight of the World Bible verse meme from Mathew 5. Light of the World appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Light of the World ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God,… Read more »
- Never too lost church signNever too lost church sign from Faith Temple Church is this week’s Church Sign Saturday. #ChurchSign Never too lost church sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Never too lost church sign ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father -… Read more »
- Ant Hill CrossAnt Hill Cross these ants form a cross shape with their any hills and the grass shapes like a crown. #ants Ant Hill Cross appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Ant Hill Cross ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Turn your pocket tissue holder into a pocket business card holderSteve Sews Stuff Turn your pocket tissue holder into a pocket business card holder - Now you can carry your business cards with your pocket tissue holders from Steve Sews Stuff. #BusinessCards Turn your pocket tissue holder into a pocket business card holder appeared first on Steve Sews Stuff. Read more »
- 4th of JulyHappy 4th of July. Maybe you will take this special day to share Jesus with others and be a bold witness or hand out gospel tracts. #4thofJuly #IndepednaceDay #July4 #July4th 4th of July appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 4th of July ©2004-2021 by Steve… Read more »
- All Gave Some, Some Gave All Church SignAll Gave Some, Some Gave All is this week’s Church Sign Saturday. Which takes us to Harrogate, TN. All Gave Some, Some Gave All Church Sign appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at All Gave Some, Some Gave All Church Sign ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve… Read more »
- Why is Independence Day celebrated on July 4th?Why is Independence Day celebrated on July 4th - learn why we celebrate Independence Day on the Fourth of July. It was almost celebrated on another day. Why is Independence Day celebrated on July 4th? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Why is Independence Day… Read more »
- Festive facts for July 4thFestive facts for July 4th - The following are some interesting details about the origins of Independence Day and the celebrations that surround it. Festive facts for July 4th appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Festive facts for July 4th ©2004-2021 by Steve Patterson Steve… Read more »
- Fourth of July Poem/AcronymSteve Patterson wrote a Christian poem/acronym for "Fourth of July" (4th of July) - Independence Day comes & everyday we owe God the thanks for our freedom. Includes a Free downloadable and printable version! #Fourth #July #4thofJuly Fourth of July Poem/Acronym appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!