Stats on Bullying
- 30 percent of teens in the United States
- much more common among younger teens than older teens
- Bullying occurs more frequently among boys than girls
- boys are more likely to report being hit, slapped, or pushed, more aggressive
- girls are more often the targets of rumors and sexual comments, subtle and indirect
- Boys usually bully both boys and girls
- Girls usually bully other girls
- Each student a piece of paper
- Crumple the piece of paper, do not tear, rip it.
- Now unfold the piece of paper.
- Try to Smooth it out
- Look at it
- Tell the piece of paper you are sorry as you try to fix that piece of paper
- Notice the scars left behind on the piece of paper
- Those scares will never go away, no matter how hard you try to fix it.
- Point out the same happens when someone is bullied
Check out this blog post: Bullying, Crumbled Paper, Perspective View
You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love and sound judgement.
19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may help those who listen.
2 Timothy 2:22
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
God is watching you, if you are a bully he sees what you are doing to others. If you are a victim of bullying he knows what you are going through and sees it. Remember God is always with you. We are not to repay evil with evil. Resorting to their level is not the answer. Be nice and show love to that person. The Bible says love your enemy. It also says if they are hungry to give them food, if they are thirsty give them drink. Be brave knowing that God is with you and he will seek the revenge. A good movie to watch is The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry, I like how Jonathan tells the boys he has been doing a Bible study for, about a bully who takes their pizza, to offer him a second slice. One thing to keep in mind what would Jesus do? If you are a victim of bullying then you need to forgive that person, you won’t forget, but you must forgive them and show them love. Pray for those who are victims of bullying and also those who are bullying.
What can you do about bullying
- Talk to your parents or an adult you can trust, such as one of your youth leaders, teacher at school, principal, etc.
- Don’t blame yourself
- Act confident, Hold your head up, stand up straight
- Make more friends
- Avoid situations that may lead to bullying
- Don’t resort to violence
- Refuse to help bully other people
- Find a teacher or an adult if you are witnessing bullying
- Encourage the bullied person to talk to their parents or a trusted adult (see #1)
- Check your student handbook on how to report bullying, harassment, hazing, etc.
Stats according to the National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center
First published October 23, 2013. Last updated October 6, 2019.
A Christian Blogger that enjoys blogging about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus Christ, Christian Music, Family, Cats, Odd Holidays and much more. I have been blogging since 2004, however, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. I enjoy listening to Christian Music. I am married with 1 daughter, 2 step-sons and a step daughter.