Baby New Year we see this baby all the time when it comes to the first of the year. I never knew where or how this baby came around, I just knew I see it all the time. So where did this idea of a baby for New Years come from? #BabyNewYear
Baby New Year: The Origin
People from around the world celebrate to mark the arrival of the new year. One New Year tradition that has survived through the centuries is that of Baby New Year and its image of a toddler wearing only a diaper, sash and top hat.
Baby New Year can be traced to 600 B.C. in Greece and Egypt. Historians note that Greeks believed Dionysus, their God of fertility and wine, was reborn every New Year as a spirit of fertility and luck. Greeks would celebrate with parades featuring a baby in a cradle to represent the birth of Dionysus. Ancient Egyptians used a baby as a symbol to represent rebirth as well. Thus making Baby New Year symbolizes the birth of the new year and the passing of the old one.Baby New Year symbolizes the birth of the new year and the passing of the old one. Click To Tweet
Over the years, the tradition of Baby New Year has taken on another meaning as well. Some people believe the baby begins as an infant in January and then quickly ages until he is elderly at the end of December. Some stories even suggest Baby New Year ages until he becomes Father Time.
Early Christians did not like this tradition, feeling it was a pagan celebration. However, the Church eventually revised its standing when it saw how much people stood behind the imagery of a baby representing rebirth. The Christian Church allowed members to celebrate the new year with a baby, and it was believed the practice symbolized the birth and hope offered by baby Jesus.
Baby New Year symbolism has even been used for marketing purposes. Retailers realized the cherubic image would attract consumers, which is why it is now used to promote New Year’s sales. But Baby New Year is more than just a successful marketing tool. Each year, many cities and villages name their own Baby New Year. Each city would try to see who is the first child born on January 1. Some attempts to name a Baby New Year for an entire country have been made, but there have been no official pronouncements, as so many children have been born around midnight on New Year’s Eve that it has been too close to call which baby arrived first.
Article compliments of Metro Creative Services TF151857
This also shows how the church today seems to be compromising on a lot of stuff and going against the Word of God. You can say using this baby for New Years can be a form of idolatry after all it did get it’s origin from a fake god. We are taking an image of something and giving it god like characters saying this baby becomes Father Time or ages quickly from January to December. We know there is not a Mother Earth or even Father Time … There is only Father God. Even turning this pegan baby into the birth of Jesus. This is wrong if you ask me.
I never knew this story of Baby New Year, I am glad I came across the free to use article. I wanted to share with my readers so you all are aware of this as well.
New Year Related Blog Posts
- A-Z of New Years
- Baby New Year: The Origin
- Blessing Jar
- Calendar Changes God Doesn’t Change
- Calendar Changes God Never Does – Cheerful Hope Baptist Church Sign
- Changing Calendar Unchanging God Church Sign Arrowhead Church
- Christian New Year’s Resolutions
- Happy New Year | Feliz Año Nuevo | Bonne Année
- March 1 use to be the New Year
- New Year’s Traditions Around the World
- Origins of New Years Eve Traditions, The
- Times Square Confetti This Year Will Be in the Form of Wishes for New Years
- When The New Year Begins Across The Globe
- Year of the Lord
Find some Christian New Year’s Resolutions!
First published December 30, 2016. Last republished or updated December 28, 2021.
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- GargoylesGargoyles - Those evil looking creatures you usually see on buildings that was said to keep evil spirits away also served another purpose. #Gargoyles Gargoyles appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Gargoyles ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- Who do you need to witness to?Who do you need to witness to? Simple answer is … EVERYONE! Who do you need to witness to? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Who do you need to witness to? ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father… Read more »
- No Grocery Tax in Tennessee this AugustNo Grocery Tax in Tennessee this August - Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced his proposal for a 30-day suspension of state and local grocery sales tax to provide direct financial relief to Tennesseans amid surging inflation nationwide. No Grocery Tax in Tennessee this August appeared first on Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- World NF Awareness Day & MonthWorld NF Awareness Day & Month - This is an awareness day that hits very close to home as I have Neurofibromatosis (NF). My mother, uncle, and cousins have NF. Some cities are gonna Shine A Light on NF on this day. #EndNF #WorldNFDay #Neurofibromatosis World NF Awareness Day &… Read more »
- Red Nose Day is BackRed Nose Day is back May 26, helping raise life-changing funds to ensure a healthy future for all children. #RedNoseDay #NosesOn Red Nose Day is Back appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Red Nose Day is Back ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous… Read more »
- Friends AcronymFriends Acronym - Check out this acronym for the word friends. #Friends Friends Acronym appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Friends Acronym ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A Christian Blog about the Bible, Theology, God, Jesus… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner