988 Dialing Code for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline #988 #suicide #suicideprevention
988 Dialing Code for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
HHS Announces Critical Investments to Implement Upcoming 988 Dialing Code for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
American Rescue Plan Funding Will Support State Efforts to Transform Suicide and Mental Health Crisis Care
The Department of Health and Human Services, through its Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), will make critical investments in suicide prevention and crisis care services, announcing $282 million to help transition the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline from its current 10-digit number to a three-digit dialing code – 988.
In 2020, Congress designated the new 988 dialing code to be operated through the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Converting to this easy-to-remember, three-digit number will strengthen and expand the existing Lifeline network, providing the public with easier access to life-saving services. The Lifeline currently helps thousands of people overcome crisis situations every day. The 988 dialing code will be available nationally for call, text or chat beginning in July 2022.
Standing up the 988 dialing code is a key part of the Biden-Harris Administration’s focus on ensuring that those in crisis have someone to call, someone to respond, and somewhere to go. The 988 code is a first step toward transforming crisis care in this country, creating a universal entry point to needed crisis services in line with access to other emergency medical services.
With funds from the Biden-Harris Administration’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 budget and additional funds from the American Rescue Plan, SAMHSA’s $282 million investment will support 988 efforts across the country to shore up, scale up and staff up, including:
- $177 million to strengthen and expand the existing Lifeline network operations and telephone infrastructure, including centralized chat/text response, backup center capacity, and special services (e.g., a sub-network for Spanish language-speakers).
- $105 million to build up staffing across states’ local crisis call centers.
“As we continue to confront the impact of the pandemic, investing in this critical tool is key to protecting the health and wellbeing of countless Americans – and saving lives. Giving the states a tool to prevent suicide and support people in crisis is essential to our HHS mission of protecting the health and wellbeing of everyone in our nation,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “We know that remembering a three-digit number beats a ten-digit number any day, particularly in times of crisis, and I encourage every state to rev up planning to implement 988 for the sake of saving lives.”
To support the initial transition to 988, SAMHSA’s investment represents a budget increase of more than 10 times the FY 2021 budget amount of $24 million. A large portion of FY 2022 funding will be distributed to crisis centers across the country.
“This investment in states’ crisis call center operations will help strengthen our partnership as SAMHSA works with states to meet the suicide prevention and behavioral health needs of people across our nation,” said Miriam Delphin-Rittmon, Ph.D., the HHS Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use and the leader of SAMHSA. “Transformation of this scale is never easy – but too many Americans are experiencing suicide and mental health crises without the support and care they need. The federal government cannot do this alone.”
Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among young people and was the tenth-leading cause of death in the nation in 2019, according to U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. In 2019, one death by suicide happened almost every 11 minutes in the US.
More recently, SAMHSA’s 2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) data show 4.9 percent of adults aged 18 or older had serious thoughts of suicide, 1.3 percent made a suicide plan, and 0.5 percent attempted suicide in the past year. Among adolescents 12 to 17, 12 percent had serious thoughts of suicide, 5.3 percent made a suicide plan, and 2.5 percent attempted suicide in the past year. The findings vary by race and ethnicity, with people of mixed ethnicity reporting higher rates of serious thoughts of suicide.
Until the formal launch of 988 in July 2022, anyone in mental health crisis or emotional distress should call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255). People not in crisis who are seeking treatment options for mental health conditions should visit findtreatment.samhsa.gov or call 1-800-662-HELP(4357).
by clicking on the random post button above, you will be taken to a totally random blog post!
Subscribe To Courageous Christian Father!
Don’t miss any blog posts! Subscribe today! You can subscribe via WordPress or by entering your email! Thank you!Follow Courageous Christian Father on WordPress.com
Don’t forget to also share blog posts you love on your favorite social media too! Thank you! Sharing is caring!
Follow on Social Media
- God is like bleach He removes stains no one else canGod is like bleach He removes stains no one else can - He washes us white as snow. #bgbg2 God is like bleach He removes stains no one else can appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at God is like bleach He removes stains no one… Read more »
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park requiring face masks againSteve Sews Stuff Great Smoky Mountain National Park requiring face masks again - Consistent with CDC guidance regarding areas of substantial or high transmission, visitors to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask inside all park buildings. Great Smoky Mountain National Park… Read more »
- 46 Random Bible Verses46 Random Bible Verses - this blog post shares 46 random Bible verses. #bibleverses #bgbg2 46 Random Bible Verses appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at 46 Random Bible Verses ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father. Courageous Christian Father - A Christian… Read more »
- Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 - I share some fun facts and famous birthdays for the 6th of August. #August6 Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at Fun & Interesting Facts About August 6 ©2004-2022 by Steve… Read more »
- More people burning in hell that have more of a heart for evangelizing
- Remove background in Adobe Photoshop Using Quick Action
- August – Did You Know?August, the month that is named in honor of Augustus Caesar and previously went by the name "Sextilis." #August August – Did You Know? appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at August – Did You Know? ©2004-2022 by Steve Patterson Steve Patterson of Courageous Christian Father.… Read more »
- New Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky floodingNew Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky flooding - with all the recent rain and flooding in Kentucky, a New Testament Bible was found in the mud. New Testament Found in the mud of Kentucky flooding appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at New Testament… Read more »
- Jelly Bean Prayer Printable – Jelly Bean Gospel – PrintableJelly Bean Prayer - Jelly Bean Gospel a way to use the colors of jelly beans to share the gospel. Includes free printable version! National Jelly Bean Day. #JellyBeanPrayer #JellyBeanGospel #JellyBeanDay #JellyBeans #JellyBean #Easter #prayer Jelly Bean Prayer Printable – Jelly Bean Gospel – Printable appeared first on Courageous Christian… Read more »
- National Jump for Jelly Beans DayNational Jump for Jelly Beans Day - A day to jump for joy for the love of these colorful and flavorful jelly beans. #JumpForJellyBeanDay #JellyBeans National Jump for Jelly Beans Day appeared first on Courageous Christian Father. Read the full article at National Jump for Jelly Beans Day ©2004-2022 by… Read more »
Thank You For Reading!
- About Steve Patterson
- Blog Awards Won
- Follow Courageous Christian Father
- Guest Bloggers
- I see you made a comment! Thank you!
- Linking & Sharing
- Media Kit
- PR Friendly
- Raptured Blog Post
- Submit Christian News
- The Testimonial of Steve Patterson, blog owner