2.8 Earthquake in Campbell County – According to the United States Geological Survey, a magnitude 2.8 earthquake shook Campbell County at 5:19 a.m. Sunday morning.
According to an intensity comparison scale by the USGS, earthquakes that register as less than a 3.0 are classified as a level I. That means it is “Not felt except by a very few under especially favorable conditions.”
Campbell County is just north of Knoxville at the Tennessee / Kentucky.
Knoxville and surrounding areas do not sit on a traditional plate boundary, what we often think of as causing tremors. Instead, we sit along the East Tennessee Seismic Zone. Most local earthquakes are ‘weaker,’ but some people will still feel the ground shaking if the magnitude is 2.5 or higher.
You may hear sounds with earthquakes. According to the USGS, many people report hearing loud “booms” along with seismic activity.
“No one knows for sure, but scientists speculate that these “booms” are probably small shallow earthquakes that are too small to be recorded, but large enough to be felt by people nearby,” USGS says.
To learn more facts about earthquakes, go here.
If you felt the earthquake the USGS wants to know. Visit their website to report your experience.
Earthquakes in the Bible
Earthquakes were even mentioned in the Bible too. According to BibleGateway.com earthquake is found 17 times in the New King James Version.
Below is an example of some of those 17 found. I used 9 of the 17 time used.
- For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. Matthew 24:7
- So when the centurion and those with him, who were guarding Jesus, saw the earthquake and the things that had happened, they feared greatly, saying, “Truly this was the Son of God!” Matthew 27:54
- And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. Matthew 28:2
- For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings of sorrows. Mark 13:8
- And there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven. Luke 21:11
- Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed. Acts 16:26
- [ Sixth Seal: Cosmic Disturbances ] I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. Revelation 6:12
- In the same hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, and the rest were afraid and gave glory to the God of heaven. Revelation 11:13
- And there were noises and thunderings and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake as had not occurred since men were on the earth. Revelation 16:18
God used earthquakes
God used earthquake when Paul and Silas was in prison. There was an earthquake when Jesus died on the Cross, as well as, when the stone rolled away from the tomb of Jesus. Not to mention, earthquakes deal with the end of times too. Let me say no man knows the hour when the Lord will come!