It is once again time to talk turkey, stuffing and all of the trimmings. Thanksgiving is celebrated in both Canada and the United States with similar parades and fanfare. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for the blessings in one’s life and enjoy the company of family and friends during a special meal.
Although people celebrate Thanksgiving each and every year, they may not be aware of some of its interesting history. Test your knowledge of gobblers and general trivia with this quiz.
1. Despite competing historical claims, the story most people associate with the first American Thanksgiving took place in a colony in this modern-day state?
- New Jersey
2. Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on which day of the week in Canada?
3. Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on which day of the week in the United States?
4. Pilgrims from Europe associated with Thanksgiving are purported to have sailed across the Atlantic to reach North American on which ship?
- Santa Maria
5. Which tribe of Native Americans taught Pilgrims how to cultivate the land, contributing to the first Thanksgiving?
6. Three different deboned types of poultry go into this Thanksgiving meal alternative?
- Orange duck
- Turkey chowmein
7. In what year did Congress make Thanksgiving an official national holiday in the United States?
8. Twenty percent of the overall consumption of this type of fruit is done on Thanksgiving.
Answers: 1. c 2. a 3. d 4. b 5. d 6. b 7. c 8. b
Compliments of Metro TF15B675